Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

camping in in Colorado mountains ??? need advice..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• camping in in Colorado mountains ??? need advice..

Guys, does anybody know a good place in the wilderness of Colorado mountains (at a relatively high altitude with temperatures below 80'F) where i wont be bothered by park rangers, I can take my dogs with me, shoot my gun without being bothered by authority? I ve camped only in Europe and know the laws there, but not in the US (although i live here)!. I did a research on Google, where only National Parks and campsites are listed, with restriction for pets, guns etc. Would appreciate any advice and information. I m specifically interested in Colorado, because it is the closest high altitude mountain next to me (live in Dallas). Thanks!

Re: camping in in Colorado mountains ??? need advice..

Call some local lumbering companies that own or lease land for timbering. They might allow a foreign person permission to use their land to roam around with dogs and shoot off guns with reckless abandon.
    Last edited by Mike; 06-20-2015, 10:49 AM.

Comment

not a good time to come to CO right now. With all the snow melt and rain, there is some bad flooding. Plus where ever you go, you will still have to deal with the local USFS rangers and local Sheriff's. You might want to try the USFS area's west of the Contential divide. The eastern slope is very populated from Colorado Springs to the WY border.
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Most National Forests have few restrictions, other than common sense, mostly not shooting around campgrounds or roads.

I dont tend to shoot in National Forests if camping, but National Forests and other public lands are where most of the people I know shoot, they just dont do it anywhere near campgrounds or other high use areas.

I think CO is going to be more populated with people, but as was said, the west slope may be better.

Anywhere you shoot, you need to be sure you have a safe backstop, and that doesnt mean just off through the trees or open country and thinking nothing can be hurt in that direction. Something that positively stops bullets within sight, (and NOT trees) not just thinking, trusting or believing there couldnt be anyone off in the unseen distance.

If your dog is running free, you need to be able to call it in reliably and hook it up if other people, people with dogs, or horsemen come near. Its your responsibility to control your dog, verbally or by having it hooked up.

Its great to have places to do what you want to do, you just have to keep in mind those things have to be done responsibly, and your rights to do as you please do not trump anyone elses rights to enjoy National Forest or public land.

Comment

Working...
        X