Carnitas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carnitas

An easy peasy recipe from a cut of meat that is frequently on sale this time of year (got it for 1.50/lb my way.Score!!!) and has little waste (bones for many people) but is still flavorful. Use the finished dish for tacos, omelets, with bean + rice or as filling for sandwiches.

Now I keep a staggering amt of spices and herbs whether camping or at home but this dish can be made successfully without most o' em:

http://www.homesicktexan.com/2008/07...ton-style.html

This doesn't change the fact that I added 2 bay leaves, 1 half of an orange's zest, a sprinkling of Mexican oregano a top and 3 crushed garlic cloves to the meat pot but but I have to remain true to self:D. Also because the country boneless ribs I substituted for the pork butt was too lean I threw in some salt pork which also meant I added no additional salt until the dish was done.

Play with the recipe the way you want and your mouth will thank you.

It freezes beautifully as well!

Now back into the kitchen w/ me so i can make some roasted tomatillo salsa to got with it and maybe some pico de gallo too. Well prolly not the pico/tomato salsa...........tomatoes aren't quite ripe here yet and besides a local market sells it fresh and tasty.
    Last edited by NYCgrrl; 06-03-2015, 10:42 AM.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Re: Carnitas

You can't throw a stone from my house and not hit at least one taco joint with carnitas. A regular dish at hour house, not complicated but time consuming...We use an authentic mexican recipe and pork shoulder (right balance of fat and lean) but beware its time-consuming to make due to the rendering off the floaters before the 2nd-stage frying. It's way better than the taco shop versions and is a hit at every potluck or extended family gathering.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
      You can't throw a stone from my house and not hit at least one taco joint with carnitas. A regular dish at hour house, not complicated but time consuming...We use an authentic mexican recipe and pork shoulder (right balance of fat and lean) but beware its time-consuming to make due to the rendering off the floaters before the 2nd-stage frying. It's way better than the taco shop versions and is a hit at every potluck or extended family gathering.
      Pork shoulder/Boston butt is a beautiful cut of meat and I use it frequently for various make ahead meals whether for camping or at home.
      Still this time out it wasn't on sale but the country ribs were. The salt pork added a goodly amt of fat to the meat and I think I got the proportion right.
      Wish there were more decent Mexican restaurants by me but the ones nearby are pretty expensive. Most years we stop at Long Wharf (exit46(?) on I-95) to get the quality and reasonable priced Mexican food you prolly get most everywhere on the West Coast. We'll still stop at Long Wharf to pick up some Mexican sodas and cooked cactus to add to our carnitas meal but I'm lazy like that, LOL.

Do you have a recipe you'd like to add to this thread?
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
        Yea don't hold back....LOL...
        Jack
        Thrift store tent
        Marmot Tungsten 4p

Comment

Working...
        X