Flashlight for camping needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashlight for camping needed

Do you know any good flashlights for camping? I am going to have a camping activity with some friends, and now, I am looking for some good flashlights for that. I find some flashlights online such as fenix, sure fire, tank007 flashlight, streamlights, etc, where seem have some good flashlights, but do you guys know what kind of flashlights are suitable for camping?

Re: Flashlight for camping needed

Tank007 flashlight is a good choice, cheaper, good quality, you can get one. I have one now, it works fine, and looks good.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	d7f328f5-b4ad-42d2-93a4-da63bffe7fa9.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	70025

Comment

Originally posted by JamesGary View Post
      Do you know any good flashlights for camping? I am going to have a camping activity with some friends, and now, I am looking for some good flashlights for that. I find some flashlights online such as fenix, sure fire, tank007 flashlight, streamlights, etc, where seem have some good flashlights, but do you guys know what kind of flashlights are suitable for camping?
      Have you ever heard of MAGLITE?

Comment

Brand-wise, you can do OK with anything as long as you test it carefully ahead of time. Style-wise, you might consider several different types of lighting: lanterns, flashlights, and headlamps.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I've purchased numerous low/medium priced flashlights over the years for camping. One word for ya, Streamlight. Higher priced, but well worth the money. Puts my two Maglites to shame. You won't be disappointed !!
          2014 Heartland Cyclone 4114 5th-Wheel ToyHauler

NIGHTS CAMPED:

2013 - 58 / 2014 - 44 / 2015 - 52 / 2016 - 48 / 2017 - ​34 / 2018 - ​??

Comment

Originally posted by SpitzoMT View Post
            I've purchased numerous low/medium priced flashlights over the years for camping. One word for ya, Streamlight. Higher priced, but well worth the money. Puts my two Maglites to shame. You won't be disappointed !!
            I never heard of Streamlight so will keep an eye out for it should anything ever happen to my Maglite. I use it for work (exploring basements-what fun!:D) as well as camping. Nicely focused light and a difficult to destroy casing.
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I 2nd Streamlight; I keep a Streamlight 66318 MicroStream LED Key Light with me all the time and it is great.

Comment

A headlamp is most useful in those situations where you have to set up after dark. Lets you use both hands. Any one will do, but I like the Petzl headlamps. I have one that weighs less than one ounce (with battery) and you can operate it with gloves on. I have a couple of generic Wal-Mart headlamps too, although I haven't used them in years. I always carry the Petzl but I rarely need it.
                2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

There are different lights for different purposes, as some have said. I like a good flashlight, and a headlamp. By good flashlight, I use a Surefire E2O with the old type lamp. I really should update it to LED. I gave up on the old large heavy clunky D or C cell lights 15 or more years ago when I first got a Streamlight Scorpion, then the Surefire. At this point, mag lights are about walmart grade lights, though the LED upgrades help. If the mini-mags had a better switch (and LED bulbs), they could be decent lights, but theres so much better quality lights out now. You dont have to spend a fortune today to get a really good quality, stunningly bright light. I dont mind dealing with CR123 batteries, as I have several Surefire lights that use them, but I buy several boxes at a time so the cost isnt too bad for real Surefire brand batteries (which seem vastly better than walmart CR123's and for WAY less money). Once I had a light the size of a mini-mag, that was brighter than a 3 or 4 D cell mag light with a crypton bulb, I never looked back. Larger mag lights are dinosaurs.

I have a cheapish Coleman headlamp. Its been OK/so-so for work and getting firewood etc. There are much brighter, better headlamps though for not much more money. I had a couple Energizer headlamps, they werent very good lights compared to the Coleman, though I know theres much better lights than the Coleman and would upgrade next time I buy one. Consider the cheaper ones to be expendable, they eventually wear out.

For lanterns I use coleman gas lanterns. I use the single mantle lights, as the mantles get broken in transport relatively easily, and just replacing one is simpler and cheaper. I've rarely felt need for more light than that lantern puts out. I used to use it for a reading light in my cabin before I got power.

Comment

I saw a similar question on another forum (also with Gary in the screen name) right after this was asked, but the OP indicated they were going hunting. If this is the same OP, then that could have a bearing on the responses.
                    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I'm a police officer and have a collection of flashlights. If I could afford for them all to be Streamlight, I'd be all over that. But they pay us in "feel-good-helping-people", not actual money.

I have a 5.11 light that's about 250 lumens (I keep it for clearing inside buildings, since my 800lumen light is TOO bright). It was $40. I used to have an ATI light at 200 lumens that was bullet proof. I ran over it with a car, dropped it into a toilet, and dropped it onto concrete from a balcony. Still kept trucking until the day it got stolen. I now carry a NiteCore 800 lumen light (for tinted windows and looking for people in the woods), which is USB rechargeable or the battery can be switched out. Great light for duty, and of course all my duty lights double as camping lights.

Keep in mind, if you get a flashlight that takes CR123A batteries, you're better off buying them in bulk on Amazon (it'll turn out to be $1-3 per battery, whereas a single CR123A at Radio Shack is $14).
                      Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
                      Nights under the stars:
                      2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
                      2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

There are few technologies for camping that have improved as much as lighting - especially the efficiency of the CREE bulbs. Today, you can get a fully functional headlamp for about $5.00 that will provide enough lighting for nearly all camping needs. You can get more lumens (usually for more money). If you are canoeing at night or need to see a great distance, then more lumens are better. There is no end to lumen lust, but I think 900 lumens would impress you and your friends. Mostly, you do not need more light than the cheap $5.00 CREE/LED headlamps provide

A personal headlamp provides such efficiency and lighting that it makes free standing lamps unnecessary unless you want to attract insects or see approaching predators.

Comment

Got one TANK007 zoom flashlight for camping and outdoor activities last week. It's very good until now. Like it very much!

Comment

Got one TANK zoom light last year. Until now, it works good. Like it very much!

Comment

For a good quality but not very expensive, you can try tank007 flashlight, they have many outdoor searching flashlight for camping.

Comment

Working...
                              X