Pets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pets

Hello. We have been camping for yrs in a small camper but now that we have a bigger one we would like to bring our dog (Rocco) w/us. The question I have is what do you do w/your pet when you go out and can't bring them? We have 2 girls and spend a day at the beach and a day at an amusement park. So what do you do? Thank you,Stacy

Re: Pets

I assume it will be very hot so you can't leave the dog in your camper. The best thing is to find a boarding facility where you can pay $15-25 for daycare.
    Please do not leave the dog in your car or your camper!!!

Comment

There are several factors to consider. All interact with one another, and as a whole, help determine if taking your pet with you is reasonable.

1. Campground/RV Park policies/rules - do the places you want to stay allow for dogs to be left unaccompanied at your site (whether in or out of the RV)? Many have rules against this; others are fine as long as the pet is inside the RV and not being a nuisance.

2. Weather - will it be excessively hot or cold during your visit. If so, how will you maintain the RV at a comfortable level while you are gone? Will you stay at places with electrical hookups so you can turn on the AC? Or will you need to use the generator?

3. Generator use - does the campground/RV park have rules against generators? Certain use times? etc. If so, how will you ensure the dog is comfortable if you can't use the AC because you can't run the generator during the heat of the day?

4. The Pet's Behavior - don't assume your dog doesn't bark because you've never heard him bark. Make sure this is true. Some dogs will bark when you first leave, then quiet down. Other dogs will bark only if they see or hear someone walk past. Others will bark non-stop until about 5 minutes before you return (how they know is a mystery - but they KNOW when you're coming back).

For me, I have two dogs and I take them camping with me all the time. However, I only camp at places where my dogs are allowed to be with me everywhere (e.g., trails, water's edge, etc.). When I leave the RV for a length of time (other than a quick trip to the restrooms, water faucet, etc.), they go with me.

If I want to go places where the dogs can't join me, then I board them and go on my own. To me, it's not worth the stress of worrying about how they are doing alone in the RV while I'm trying to have fun.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Thank you, leaveing him in the camper was never an option thats why I just had no idea what else you would do. Boarding sounds like the idea thing to do.

Comment

When we camp in places where the dog isn't allowed everywhere, she stays with friends or we board her. If she's allowed everywhere, she can come with us. Most campgrounds (in my area) also have a rule that pets may not be left unattended on a camp site, and I tend to agree with that.
          Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
          Nights under the stars:
          2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
          2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

Originally posted by m&smint View Post
            Hello. We have been camping for yrs in a small camper but now that we have a bigger one we would like to bring our dog (Rocco) w/us. The question I have is what do you do w/your pet when you go out and can't bring them? We have 2 girls and spend a day at the beach and a day at an amusement park. So what do you do? Thank you,Stacy
            You could always try to leave it with a friend that is close by...?

Comment

Working...
            X