Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheapest campgrounds

Hi all,

I am planning a trip for one to visit 48 states in the US. I am wondering what are the cheapest campgrounds I can use in the trip? What is your experience?

Thanks!

Re: Cheapest campgrounds

What kind of campgrounds are you looking for?
    Dispersed, wilderness, organized with water and or electricity?

Here's one site that might be of use:

http://freecampsites.net/
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

In the mountain west, most of the National Forests are free camping if you arent using the developed campgrounds. I think '06, in Yellowstone Park was the last time I paid for a campsite, and it may have been 15 or 20 years before that.

It can take a little exploring and looking over Forest Service maps to find good places. I've found many by just seeing a two track road, seeing where it goes, and staying there.

Comment

What will you be driving?
        What type of camping?
        If tent/primitive camping will have lots of options in state forests
        I would check each states rules and regulations
        In pa primitive camping in state forest is free but need a permit to park overnight
        In ny there are lots of free roadside pad sites with pits some have tables only need permit for large groups or extended stays

Comment

Dispersed camping (aka boondocking in RV lingo) is the cheapest (free) because you aren't staying in developed campgrounds. National Forests and Bureau of Land Management (BLM) lands are the most likely places to be able to disperse camp. It's a good idea to contact the local office for tips, suggestions, warnings, etc. so you can find a good spot.

If you don't feel comfortable dispersed camping, I would say the National Forest developed campgrounds would be pretty inexpensive and would get you in a basic campground (may only have pit toilets, etc.). Although, there are some states that do not charge fees for their state parks. You can go to www.naspd.org to easily access the state park websites (just click on the desired state on the map and you'll be directed to their website).
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
            It's a good idea to contact the local office for tips, suggestions, warnings, etc. so you can find a good spot.

If you don't feel comfortable dispersed camping, I would say the National Forest developed campgrounds would be pretty inexpensive and would get you in a basic campground (may only have pit toilets, etc.). Although, there are some states that do not charge fees for their state parks. You can go to www.naspd.org to easily access the state park websites (just click on the desired state on the map and you'll be directed to their website).
            Good idea about asking at the local National Forest or BLM offices for ideas on places.

It occured to me when reading your post, even if not free, some states offer season passes for a reduced price compared to daily rates. You'd have to decide if the amount of time you'll use any particular states facilites would make it worthwhile. I usually get the National Parks pass when I go into one for the first time on any given year. I dont know if the National Forests or BLM have any season passes for using their campgrounds. If they do, be sure to ask if its for the local district or nationwide.

If anyone has achieved geezer status, the National Parks pass gets cheap, and may be a one time pay for the rest of your life I believe.

Comment

Many small cities have CG's that are free or real cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by bluestar99 View Post
                Many small cities have CG's that are free or real cheap.
                This post made me think,...Walmarts make passable overnight spots in a pinch if you cant find anything easily, or are just on the road covering distance. Most places allow overnighting. I've done it several times. I try to spend a little money at them when I do.

Some western towns allow overnight parking on city streets. They realize that campgrounds get full sometimes, and are happy to have people stay in town and spend money. Probably a half dozen or more campgrounds in town here, and they can in fact get full.

I recall one tiny town in northwest Montana that allowed camping in the city park. I stayed there one night on the way to Alaska. Probably other places that allow it.

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
                  What will you be driving?
                  What type of camping?
                  I will be driving an SUV with R-pod R-178 Travel Trailer attached.

Malamute, did you mean Walmart allows to park on their parking place overnight?

Comment

Originally posted by Malamute View Post
                    Some western towns allow overnight parking on city streets. They realize that campgrounds get full sometimes, and are happy to have people stay in town and spend money. Probably a half dozen or more campgrounds in town here, and they can in fact get full.
                    How would one know these towns allow overnight parking?

Comment

Originally posted by Malamute View Post
                      This post made me think,...Walmarts make passable overnight spots in a pinch if you cant find anything easily, or are just on the road covering distance. Most places allow overnighting. I've done it several times. I try to spend a little money at them when I do.

I recall one tiny town in northwest Montana that allowed camping in the city park. I stayed there one night on the way to Alaska. Probably other places that allow it.

Some friends of mine were traveling out west in the Colorado area. It was late at night and they could not find a place to camp. So they parked on main street in a small town. They climbed into their teardrop trailer and went to sleep. In the morning, when they stepped out of the trailer they found the street lined with lawn chairs. It turned out to be a parade route. They quickly moved the barricades and drove away. Had they slept a little longer they would have been in the parade.

I had this site bookmarked, maybe it will help. http://dev.freecampgrounds.com/

Comment

Here in sunny Florida, you can get a "usage map" of all the campsites, deer and fish camps, etc. in the national forest. Usually a 14 day stay is allowed, then you move. My closest NF is literally my backyard. Lots of choices. Some get busy, some remain quiet. Other National Forests should be similar. You may need to check with the rangers for a free permit, depending on the area. Be aware of burn bans too, especially going into the dry summer season.
                        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Nice thread, I also have the same problem

Comment

Thanks for your replies! I found there are many youtube videos from the guys who actually do boondocking.
                            Here is the boondocking basics video:

https://youtu.be/pDTEC2ktcHA
                            Last edited by verakot; 06-03-2015, 01:31 PM. Reason: added a link to video

Comment

Working...
                            X