WIll your camp gear out-live you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WIll your camp gear out-live you?

I have been inheriting equipment lately from friends and family that are passing on and going on to the next great adventure.

A lot of the stuff I am getting is from the 1960's. It was built to last and purchased with careful consideration. Most of the equipment I get was very well maintained and also saw a lot of use.

Some examples include my father's 1958 Coleman stove. He used it every year and frequently for more than 50 years. Now I have it and it works as good as new.

I also inherited a heavy Sears Canvas family tent. My friend brought his family camping in it from the 1960's and 1970's frequently and used it sporadically after his family grew up. It is in immaculate shape and if I take as good care of the tent as he did, it will last another half century.

I am looking over some of my own gear. Even though I use it all very frequently and have owned some of it for 30 to 40 years, it is likely that some of it could be used by the next generation.

Some of the stuff that really lasts forever include: Coleman stoves and Coleman lanterns, cast iron cookware, knives, metal tea pots and tea cups, grills and grates and cooking tripods, Fishing rods (but not fishing reels), some fishing tackle, steel belted Coleman coolers, hats of all kinds, Pendleton wool coats, shirts and blankets, well maintained canvas tents.

Things that do not seem to last long include: Nyon tents - no matter how good they once were, folding chairs, ceramic cups and plates, compasses (often, but not always), nearly anything made of plastic, synthetic material clothing, Wool that has not been stored properly, most leather things including gloves, boots, nylon backpacks, nearly every kind of zipper,

Re: WIll your camp gear out-live you?

I think this is true with most things. I have an egg cooker that my Mom got as a wedding gift (1961?). It is still in perfect working order and it has been used a ton over the years. Before I got it, I went through about 4 currently manufactured ones in less than 25 years.

Part of it is the materials - back in the day, things were made with the most durable materials; now things are made with the cheapest and/or lightest materials - they just don't hold up as well.

Another part is the "Apple mentality" - manufacturers have learned that it's more profitable to get people to make repeat purchases. Some, like Apple, do it by making an upgraded version and taking the old ones off the market. Others, make lower quality products and convince buyers that buying something 4 times at $20 each is a better bargain than buying it once at $50.

My camping gear (the clipper) is 40 years old this October. My hope is that it will outlast my ability to camp.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I just inherited my mom and dad's Tam O'Shanter cooler
      https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...9,980550&hl=en
      Last edited by actad; 05-07-2015, 10:33 PM.
      - Laura
      Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

A lot of my gear will definitely outlive me. With hi-tech polyester tents, GoreTex, goosedown, non-stick frying pans you can use metal utensils with, ThermaRest pads and pillows, soft-sided ballistic nylon, waterproof mil-spec audio equipment, pelican cases, and other high-end gear, a lot of it will surely carry on in my memory. If my stuff was from the '60s and '70s, it's a sign that I needed to get out of the garage more often. Or read more Colin Fletcher.

PS, the gear continues to improve and evolve - I think there are still some good additions out there I can get, and pass on older stuff to others who will hopefully enjoy camping as much as we do, and make their own memories.
        Last edited by tplife; 05-08-2015, 01:13 PM.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Most of mine will likely outlast me. I use a newer Coleman stove now, but I started out with one that was model No 1 I think. The guy that rehabbed it for me in the 80's said his books went back to model No 2 in the 20's and didnt go far enough back. It needed priming to start, but otherwise is a good stove. I've also cast quite a few bullets on it. It has a full enclosure, like an oven, which is pretty cool.

My wall tent was bought new in '89, and has been lived in for several months at a time several times besides shorter camp trips. Its still in very good condition.

I'm hard on coolers. I dont treat them very well I dont think. My steel belted has the plastic lid hinges broken and some other problems right now. I need to look at it and see if it can be saved.

I use some cast iron and some Revere ware stainless/copper pans from home when I camp. I dont think either ever really wears out. The enamal wear plates and cups seem to hold up well also. They are my home stuff as well. Green and white splatter pattern. I like them a lot.
          Last edited by Malamute; 05-10-2015, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Malamute View Post
            Most of mine will likely outlast me. I use a newer Coleman stove now, but I started out with one that was model No 1 I think. The guy that rehabbed it for me in the 80's said his books went back to model No 2 in the 20's and didnt go far enough back. It needed priming to start, but otherwise is a good stove. I've also cast quite a few bullets on it. It has a full enclosure, like an oven, which is pretty cool.

My wall tent was bought new in '89, and has been lived in for several months at a time several times besides shorter camp trips. Its still in very good condition.

I'm hard on coolers. I dont treat them very well I dont think. My steel belted has the plastic lid hinges broken and some other problems right now. I need to look at it and see if it can be saved.

I use some cast iron and some Revere ware stainless/copper pans from home when I camp. I dont think either ever really wears out. The enamal wear plates and cups seem to hold up well also. They are my home stuff as well. Green and white splatter pattern. I like them a lot.
            I think the plastic hinges are the weak spot on coolers but have seen internet articles, posts and youtube vids on easy fixes. So far (average age: 5 years) all my coolers have held up but I'll be doing more reading when the inevitable occurs.
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I think mine may be about 20 or so years old, but I dont remember. May be more. I was camping a lot (actually living outside most of the time) in the mid 80's, it may be that old.

Comment

I hope most of it out lives me, that was the plan when I made my purchases

Comment

Well Hey! I want to outlive my equipment !

Comment

Buy cheap and use it hard!

Comment

Originally posted by noelectricplease View Post
                      Well Hey! I want to outlive my equipment !
                      :he:
                      2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I hope not....I like to think I'm still young. However, some of my vintage (dtd from 1937 though the early 70's) camping equipment was either purchased at estate sales or found their way to me via inheritance. Coleman stoves-lanterns-an oven, my mom's cast iron skillet, my wife's grandmother's two aluminum pots with the black paint worn off the wood handles, 100% wool military surplus blankets....I still regularly use this stuff on almost every car camping trip and occasionally around the house. That camp gear has already outlived it's original owners...so I'm next up. With proper maintenance and a little TLC, I have no doubt it'll get passed along to my boy someday.
                        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                          I hope not....I like to think I'm still young. However, some of my vintage (dtd from 1937 though the early 70's) camping equipment was either purchased at estate sales or found their way to me via inheritance. Coleman stoves-lanterns-an oven, my mom's cast iron skillet, my wife's grandmother's two aluminum pots with the black paint worn off the wood handles, 100% wool military surplus blankets....I still regularly use this stuff on almost every car camping trip and occasionally around the house. That camp gear has already outlived it's original owners...so I'm next up. With proper maintenance and a little TLC, I have no doubt it'll get passed along to my boy someday.
                          If it's any help I'm still using CI inherited from my grandmother AND by default ( I don't recall meeting her as she died when I was an infant), her mother. Some day I plan to pass the pieces on to my granddaughter. My boys know how to cook (thank goodness for at least one of 'em; oops) but have no interest in my pots just what's in 'em.

My Coleman stove was bought used and dates from sometimes in the '70's; just a beauty.
                          Last edited by NYCgrrl; 05-12-2015, 08:39 PM.
                          2017:

Comment

Will my gear outlive me? I dunno - my gear is constantly evolving, but yeah, some of it will. The simpler, the better. I'm guessing my candle lantern will be dug up 1000 years from now in perfect operating condition.
                            2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
                            X