Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coleman Triton vs Classic

Hi friends,
    I was in the market to buy a stove for an upcoming trip, and future trips as well. I was looking at the Coleman Triton, and the classic green Coleman stove. And I have to ask, what is the difference other than 2,000 BTU's and $20. And to you really think it is worth it? As a primer: I don't do really cold weather camping and don't have a need for dual fuel, or an extremely high 50,000 BTU stove.

Thanks in advance. I just don't see what the big difference between the stoves are and if the extra $20 is worth it.

Re: Coleman Triton vs Classic

I don't have anything propane (stoves or lanterns; I'm a white gas user) so imagine the big difference is just as you stated: the BTUs. Now higher BTUs means faster cooking but prolly also means it uses fuel faster. Just starting out? I'd suggest getting the lower cost stove and bumping up if needed. There's a ready market place for used camping gear.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

IMO, liquid gas stoves are the way to go. There is such a big fuel cost savings and longer run time. The two stoves you are looking at are both propane canister stoves. I would go with the liquid duel fuel Coleman stoves instead of either of the two models you are considering.

I have noticed that standard propane canister stoves do not run as hot as liquid gas. It is enough difference to be a nuisance.

I would go with this Coleman Duel Fuel Liquid stove
      Last edited by Mike; 05-04-2015, 06:26 PM.

Comment

It's true, you can save about 1/3 using Coleman Fuel vs. propane. Keep in mind that Coleman advises against using unleaded gasoline due to its tendency to clog and damage expensive generators. They advise only emergency use for their Dual Fuel lanterns and stoves. I recently purchased a Primus stove to replace an aging Coleman Propane stove, and I like some of its features better. If you do go liquid fuel Coleman, be careful that if you need full-size pot space, the cheaper model is more narrow and only allows skinny pots. There is a larger version of their liquid fuel stove that takes standard sizes, just like their propane stoves do.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
          IMO, liquid gas stoves are the way to go. There is such a big fuel cost savings and longer run time. The two stoves you are looking at are both propane canister stoves. I would go with the liquid duel fuel Coleman stoves instead of either of the two models you are considering.

I have noticed that standard propane canister stoves do not run as hot as liquid gas. It is enough difference to be a nuisance.

I would go with this Coleman Duel Fuel Liquid stove
          Since both of these are propane, I am assuming you are paying for more btu's and perhaps a more rugged (relatively) case. Online, the reviews make note of the flimsy case on the less expensive model. The reviews on the Triton are generally better. However, I can't find any technical specs beyond the btu output to reference between the two.

I have owned the less expensive Coleman propane stove for 20+ years so I cannot really comment on the durability of the "newer" basic model. I'm sure manufacturing materials and techniques have changed-lol. I have replaced a regulator on my stove during that time. That's it, works great. I don't use it as much as I used to however as I switched over to Coleman fuel stove/lanterns (when the trip calls for it).

Note: It's less expensive to determine in advance your preferred fuel source and make it a standard across all equipment. lol...or you can try them all out if you like gear (my downfall).

Count me in as a fuel stove fan for all of the reasons Mike listed. I switched over to fuel 5 or 6 years ago when I started tinkering with old Coleman lanterns. So, I went old school "camper" style on my stove and found a 1952 Coleman 413d 2 burner fuel stove that was virtually unused on eBay. I took it apart, cleaned the fuel tank, new leather on the pump, and applied some elbow grease to the case. My cost? Less than any of the items listed at retail here so far. It's built and weighs like a tank...but I still love cooking on it. By far my fav. It has a huge cooking area. 12" and 10" fry pan capacity on the newer stuff? pfffffft...this guy easily fits a 14 and 12 inch pans. For car camping, it's a great stove.

Let us know what you decided to get and give some feedback on it.

Brian
          Last edited by a65hoosier; 05-04-2015, 07:35 PM.
          2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

When I started camping again after about 20 years off I started with a good propane stove. I did not want to mess with the liquid fuel. But after 2 seasons I put the propane stove on the shelf and went back to an old Coleman stove. I know have about 12 different models. The larger of the 2 burner stoves is my regular stove now. Hotter flame and a full tank can last me up to two weeks where a 1lb propane bottle may only last for a 3 day trip. I just bought another Coleman 425 in great shape at a garage sale for 5 bucks. It lite right up. My advise would be to search out an old stove and never look back. Stay away from the unleaded gas.

Comment

I had so many problems with a newer $70 Dual Fuel Coleman stove, I finally sent it to the dump, nearly new. Just wanted rid of the danged thing! Replaced it with a $25 propane stove and never looked back. SO much cleaner, simpler and more reliable. When you are tired and hungry, just made camp and want to just eat and bed down, simple is nice......
              Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Working...
              X