Block ice experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Block ice experiment

So I have been collecting 2 liter bottles for a block ice experiment. I have 4 filled with water, and just put them in the freezer. So I have a day or 2 before they are frozen. When they are frozen, I am going to put them in my cooler and see how long they last. While it is early spring the temps are going to be cooler than summer. For the next week the forecast is low to mid 60's for the high with lows of mid 40's. This is about 20 degrees cooler than my summer camping spot in the Rocky Mountains. I could leave the cooler outside, my front porch gets lots of sunlight. If I put the cooler on the south west corner, it could get 14 hours of sunlight. Or I could leave it in the house and be a pretty constant temp of 70 degrees. I could open the blinds to let the sunlight be in the cooler. I don't know if I want to leave it in the sun, cause I keep the cooler in the shade when I camp.
    The cooler will be a Coleman Extreme 50qt cooler. I will include a link down below. My question is there anything else you would like to see me do with this experiment? I am just going to take block ice directly out of the freezer and put it in the cooler. I understand pre cooling the cooler would be best, but I don't think it's possible.
    Any questions or suggestion would be appreciated.

Link to cooler
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Xt...ooler/14574676
    Last edited by 05Kingquad700; 05-03-2015, 10:58 AM. Reason: added cooler link
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Re: Block ice experiment

Sure, man. Test what happens when you open and close the cooler. Most coolers are very impressive if you load them with ice and leave the lid closed. The real test is under realistic conditions where you are opening and closing the lid throughout the day.

Comment

I am gone from 6am until 4:30 pm each weekday. But I could wait until the weekend and give it a more realistic test. Say open the cooler for a few seconds every time I get a drink of water or open the fridge.

Comment

When you're done with that test, I'd like to see you run it again with the cooler covered with a light colored cloth or even a Space Blanket if you happen to have one. I used to use a white tarp before I got a Space Blanket and I'm curious how much of a difference either of them really makes.

Comment

I have two of the exact same coolers. I could freeze a few more 2 liter bottles and see if it helps. I have a good quality space blanket and a wool blanket.

Comment

Since yer doing a simulated field test...maybe fill the coolers to about the level you would if you were using it on a trip. Also do you normally pre chill your coolers? If so give that a try as well.

ETA: sorry just re read your post re: pre chilling. I go for the sacrificial bag of ice to accomplish in my apt. but hear ya.
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Great experiment idea.

I saw where a guy built a cooler cooler. A box with styrofoam insulation around his cooler. He was camping in the desert in a place that getting ice wasnt easy.

From when I was living out a lot, using store bought block ice always lasted longer than cube ice. Still melted own and get everything wet, but lasted longer. BTW, that water is cold, I cant figure out why some people drain it, so long as they keep their food dry in bags of containers.

Using the hose to fill a cooler with cold water helps pre-cool them. I do that sometimes, then stop up at high elevation and get old snow for the cooler. If I'm going up into the high country I rarely buy ice, just use snow. Its usually fairly easy to find up high til early-mid august.
              Last edited by Malamute; 05-10-2015, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Malamute View Post
                Great experiment idea.

I saw where a guy built a cooler cooler. A box with styrofoam insulation around his cooler. He was camping in the desert in a place that getting ice wasnt easy.

From when I was living out a lot, using store bought block ice always lasted longer than cube ice. Still melted own and get everything wet, but lasted longer. BTW, that water is cold, I cant figure out why some people drain it, so long as they keep their food dry in bags of containers.

Using the hose to fill a cooler with cold water helps pre-cool them. I do that sometimes, then stop up at high elevation and get old snow for the cooler. If I'm going up into the high country I rarely buy ice, just use snow. Its usually fairly easy to find up high til early-mid august.
                Brilliant idea and I'll give it a try this year. Should certainly allow the 'spensive city ice last longer for the cooler interiors' chill down.
                2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                  I have two of the exact same coolers. I could freeze a few more 2 liter bottles and see if it helps. I have a good quality space blanket and a wool blanket.
                  A tightly woven wool blanket is a great insulator.
                  2017:

Comment

Well the little girl was sick this weekend, so the experiment took a back seat. I put 4 frozen 2 liter bottle's of water in a cooler on Friday night. I opened them some, but probably not enough. Even though I did catch said little girl in a cooler. The ice was melted by Sunday afternoon. So I doubt it would be enough to last in the summer camping. I guess I need to figure out a way to "pre cool" the cooler and rerun the test.

Comment

And..... keep the cooler wrapped in an insulator - polyiso foam, or an Army blanket. Keep the sun off it. Reflectix would help too, even though it isn't an insulator.
                      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Argh......sick children are hard on their loved ones beings even though they frequently have way more energy than their elders, LOL
                        2017:

Comment

I have always tried to start out a trip with bottles of Ice I have frozen. When ever possible I pre chill the coolers before loading to leave. But I started freezing some blocks using old tupperware because they fit better then milk bottles in the cooler. Then I came across this stuff that you add to your water that claims to extend the life of your ice by 30%. Has anyone tried it?

http://www.amazon.com/Trophy-Bag-Koo...s=ice+extender

Comment

If you have the space, use two coolers. One for just drinks where the temperature of the liquids aren't as crucial as any perishable. Keep all of the perishable items separate where the lid won't have to be opened as often. Hope this isn't repeating something already written above.
                            Last edited by michelliot; 05-13-2015, 08:00 AM.

Comment

if you're trying to determine if ice inside the bottles lasts longer (or the same) than block ice directly in the cooler, they should last the same amount of time - unless you drain off the water from the ice directly in the cooler. Then the ice not in the bottles will last longer.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/howthi...-water-air.htm

You must be applauded for thinking this one out and attempting the experiement. Your success will prove the "law" behind this science, which is usually how these things are proven to be factual.
                              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
                              X