No announcement yet.

Do I trust camping gear from wal-mart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do I trust camping gear from wal-mart?

Originally posted by corbmonster View Post
    ...have the footprint of your tarp extend a bit beyond the footprint of your tent on the entryway side. This will act as a porch
    That's a good idea only if you have a large tarp over your tent. If not, it can act like a funnel for rain to get under (and possibly in) the tent.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
      That's a good idea only if you have a large tarp over your tent. If not, it can act like a funnel for rain to get under (and possibly in) the tent.
      I've heard what you've said (read what you typed?) by others, and I have not experienced this myself. And I think the reason why is because I've pretty much always used a tarp under it. Last time I used my tent it rained, and water did pool between the tent and tarp, but non got inside. Why? No leaks. No leaks because I use a tarp that takes the abuse from the ground, pine cones, china berries, roots. It's the same reason we put cases on our phones. So the case will get scratched up, and cracked instead of our phone. I'd be willing to bet the reason why my cheap tent has lasted as long as it has is because I use a tarp under it.

Comment

Originally posted by caheaton View Post
        I'd say it's a mixed bag. I've never been real impressed with their tents, but if you're camping in mild and dry weather it should suffice. For not much more you can buy Coleman which I've had good luck with (I'd purchase Coleman from Amazon though, as the one's they sell at Wal-Mart are special models made for Wal-Mart and may not be up to normal Coleman specs). Be aware that there is a contingent on this forum that doesn't like Coleman.

As for their other gear, I'd inspect it and decide if you think it's a worthwhile buy. I have a 2 burner Ozark Trail propane stove I bought a decade ago that still performs flawlessly, though I did my research first and found it was made by Brinkman...a known stove manufacturer. I've also purchased their screen house. It lasted about 6 years or so, not bad at all given what I paid for it (at the time I bought it I'd expected it to last a season). Other gear such as LED lanterns and such seem to be fine.

A big key is to take good care of your equipment regardless of the make. Always make sure your tent or screen house is dry before storing away. (I open mine up after coming home and let them air out in the sun while giving them a good cleaning...sweeping inside, wiping off bird droppings, etc). The propane stove is cleaned after every use and covered with a tarp if rain threatens. One word of advice...don't use the pegs that come with your tent (even the better ones), it's better to purchase the stakes that look like long nails. They hold much better.
        I think it all depends on which one you go to because they supply different brands.

Comment

I just want to point out that a 5 person tent is not big enough for a family of four, regardless what brand you buy.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMama View Post
            I just want to point out that a 5 person tent is not big enough for a family of four, regardless what brand you buy.
            Hulllooooooo. I wound up buying a bunk bed cot setup to accommodate 5 people in a tent supposedly rated for 12 this year:surprised:.
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
              Hulllooooooo. I wound up buying a bunk bed cot setup to accommodate 5 people in a tent supposedly rated for 12 this year:surprised:.
              Which is exactly why I am surprised nobody pointed out this fact to the OP. Poor guy was is looking into a 5 person tent for a family of 4.

My family of 6 had a 12 person tent all the years my kids were growing up. It was a tight fit.

Comment

Originally posted by corbmonster View Post
                I've heard what you've said (read what you typed?) by others, and I have not experienced this myself. And I think the reason why is because I've pretty much always used a tarp under it. Last time I used my tent it rained, and water did pool between the tent and tarp, but non got inside. Why? No leaks. No leaks because I use a tarp that takes the abuse from the ground, pine cones, china berries, roots. It's the same reason we put cases on our phones. So the case will get scratched up, and cracked instead of our phone. I'd be willing to bet the reason why my cheap tent has lasted as long as it has is because I use a tarp under it.
                I wouldn't dare use a tent without a heavy groundsheet/tarp under it, even my Kodiak which has an unbelievably heavy floor. But, while your tent might be impervious to leaks, I still wouldn't recommend anyone to extend a tarp out from under a tent unless they're either confident that their seam sealing is good or they've got some way to keep rain from channeling under it - the large "over tarp". If people want a place to take their shoes off outside, I'd recommend a separate tarp, a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet or a welcome mat.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMama View Post
                  Which is exactly why I am surprised nobody pointed out this fact to the OP. Poor guy was is looking into a 5 person tent for a family of 4.

My family of 6 had a 12 person tent all the years my kids were growing up. It was a tight fit.
                  Welllll me I figured that by the 3rd post of the thread OP had already bought the tent and done a backyard tryout in it so the family already knew intimately the size of the tent.

Maybe he was going to store most of their gear in the car. I need lots of non walking on people's face space but my thunk is not all's. Sort of like cooler philosophy:he:.
                  2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                  Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Yes and no. You can trust "additional" gear - things like lanterns, headlamps, name brand supplies, but in terms of the big purchases (namely your tent), I'd splurge for something that will last you longer.

That being said, I've had one sleeping bag from Wal-Mart since I was a KID that I still use to this day. I don't know how.

Comment

For big ticket items or main gear like sleeping bags, tents, or backpacks I would not would not purchase from Wal-mart. I do know some people that have been camping longer than I that use Ozark Trail for their main tent and it has worked for them but it was a short term investment until they purchase their camper. For smaller supplies like insect repellent, paracord, or maybe fire starter I think Wal-mart is OK.

Comment

I think their is alot of good advise here. I use camping supplies from Wal-Mart some good some bad. Your really need to read the labels and determine if it is what your are looking for. Take into consideration, weather, terrain, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                          I wouldn't dare use a tent without a heavy groundsheet/tarp under it, even my Kodiak which has an unbelievably heavy floor. But, while your tent might be impervious to leaks, I still wouldn't recommend anyone to extend a tarp out from under a tent unless they're either confident that their seam sealing is good or they've got some way to keep rain from channeling under it - the large "over tarp". If people want a place to take their shoes off outside, I'd recommend a separate tarp, a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet or a welcome mat.
                          Ya, this is common sense but McGuyver is correct. If the ground tarp under your tent sticks out beyond the tent anywhere and even a couple of inches, then the tarp will catch the rain and the rain will go under your tent floor between the tarp and the floor. This is especially true if the rain from your fly drips down to the part of the tarp sticking out from under the tent. Hard to stay dry in that circumstance with even the very best of tents. You would be better off without a ground tarp. Splish splash you will be taking a bath... inside your tent.
                          Last edited by Mike; 08-05-2015, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                            Ya, this is common sense but McGuyver is correct. If the ground tarp under your tent sticks out beyond the tent anywhere and even a couple of inches, then the tarp will catch the rain and the rain will go under your tent floor between the tarp and the floor. This is especially true if the rain from your fly drips down to the part of the tarp sticking out from under the tent. Hard to stay dry in that circumstance with even the very best of tents. You would be better off without a ground tarp. Splish splash you will be taking a bath... inside your tent.
                            Yes, while you would think this would be common sense, I see many campers that leave the ground tarp edges beyond the tent edges. On our last trip, the host of our group decided it would be better to pitch their tent on the pavement on their site parking spot so they didn't have to put down a ground tarp. To me this is even worse and they have been camping for a decade. Their tent? You guessed it.....an Ozark Trail Instant Cabin 10-person from Wal-Mart. We got rain 3 days straight in the afternoons but they did not take on any water. Still, it's not something I would do.

Comment

We always, always have a tarp that sticks out front and rear under our vestibules. It's a semi-clean place to change your shoes and leave gear that won't get muddy from light rain - and it keeps the tent cleaner from dirt when you leave the campground. Any QUALITY tent has a waterproof bathtub-style floor, and you will be bone dry no matter how much water pools under your tent. We did get damp inside once, but after that weekend tossed the tent out as the welded seam floor gave out...A SIERRA DESIGNS 1987 BASE CAMP 4-MAN TENT, AFTER 27 YEARS OF ROUGH SERVICE.

I wholeheartedly agree that if you have any qualms about leaks in your tent floor, play it safe with a close-shaped footprint that mimics the tent itself, and use a seperate mat or carpet remnant if you need a "doormat".
                              Last edited by tplife; 08-05-2015, 01:04 PM.
                              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

As a matter of fact, I plan on picking up some more gear from Walmart before our next trip. I want a "welcome" mat to put in front of the tent, so I have a place to take off/put on my shoes, and not be in the dirt.
                                Nights camped in 2019: 24
                                Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Working...
                                X