Cots for seniors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cots for seniors

Hi Everyone! New to this page, but hoping you have some ideas for Me. My parents, now in their 70s still Enjoy tent camping with us. The only thing that is uncomfortable for them is they have a hard time getting out of the standard cots we have. I think they are just too low to the ground. Any ideas or seen any cots that might be higher up? Thanks Thanks!

Re: Cots for seniors

Originally posted by nutmeg1576 View Post
    Hi Everyone! New to this page, but hoping you have some ideas for Me. My parents, now in their 70s still Enjoy tent camping with us. The only thing that is uncomfortable for them is they have a hard time getting out of the standard cots we have. I think they are just too low to the ground. Any ideas or seen any cots that might be higher up? Thanks Thanks!
    How high off the ground are your current cots?
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Take a look at this cot from Cables's. I have one like it and it is a great cot. It sits higher off the ground than many cots. It is also currently on sale.
      http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...oducts&Ntt=cot

Bass pro also sells one that is about the same.

Alan

Comment

I've seen plenty of lower than usual cots, like the Thermarest LuxuryLite and the Byer Allagash, but just about every military style cot I've ever seen is maybe only an inch or two higher or lower than the rest. The only thing I can think of would be to put a cot on purpose made blocks to get to the height they need. I would say get one of those double height air mattresses but they're too iffy. If they're struggling with standard cot height, waking up on the ground would be a disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Diveralan View Post
          Take a look at this cot from Cables's. I have one like it and it is a great cot. It sits higher off the ground than many cots. It is also currently on sale.
          http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...oducts&Ntt=cot

Bass pro also sells one that is about the same.

Alan
          20.5" height is certainly higher than the norm. I know I saw another one @ Cabela's that was only 17.5".

ETA: I just measured the height of my Q bed from floor to top with bedding on it and it was 22" high so 20.5 would be very close to a regular bed once the bedding was put on.
          Last edited by NYCgrrl; 05-18-2015, 05:08 PM.
          2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I am a senior with hip and knee issues. I like the Coleman Ridgeline II. It has a foam mattress, no center bar and is very sturdy. I have no problem getting in and out of bed with the design.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Ridgel.../dp/B00W05BLXI
            - Laura
            Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Just an idea - they may do better in a hammock. Really there's not much reason to sleep in a tent except for bad weather.
              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by nutmeg1576 View Post
                Hi Everyone! New to this page, but hoping you have some ideas for Me. My parents, now in their 70s still Enjoy tent camping with us. The only thing that is uncomfortable for them is they best buy gift card glitch have a hard time getting out of the standard cots we have. I think they are just too low to the ground. Any ideas or seen any cots that might be higher up? Thanks Thanks!
                Well instead of trying to purchase an entirely new setup, why not try throwing in a slick comforter or downed blanket on-top of the current equipment..?
                Last edited by KingoftheThrone; 07-15-2015, 03:24 PM.

Comment

I got a fairly easy to set up cot at Walmart that holds up to 300 lbs. and with the Coleman slim twin air mattress on top and my twin sized memory foam topper I am sleeping like a baby and fairly easy to get in and out of.

Comment

Originally posted by BluegrassLady View Post
                    I got a fairly easy to set up cot at Walmart that holds up to 300 lbs. and with the Coleman slim twin air mattress on top and my twin sized memory foam topper I am sleeping like a baby and fairly easy to get in and out of.
                    My Disco-Bed bunk cots just arrived today and I spent a little time making sure all the parts are there and setting it up. Of course my DGD wants to sleep on it tonight. Thanks to sunnywv for recommending them!

ETA: this model is definitely not for anyone with knee or hip problems; too close to the ground.
                    Last edited by NYCgrrl; 06-06-2015, 05:55 AM.
                    2017:

Comment

Working...
                    X