Travel kids games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel kids games?

We don't own a TV nor allow our 5 year old to use the tablets, or hand held games. What are some good packable games for younger childen for those rainy days spent in the tent? We always carry book and some paper and crayons. Yahtzee is getting packed into the camping stuff as well as a deck of cards. Still after some other ideas.

Re: Travel kids games?

I feel much the same way about most electronics as you as it relates to kiddos. And especially when camping when I hope children are ...absorbing/questioning their surroundings instead of responding in monosyllablic words (if they even hear ya) and miss the osprey in flight.

I'm an indulgent Noonie so I purchased a 24 gal. Rubbermaid ActionPacker where the Princess' camping toys are kept. In it she can find the following:

a kite ( alright 2 cuz everyone has a friend or two)
    A deck of playing cards. According to an article in the WS Journal it helps kids to develop their brains (no really!):

http://www.wsj.com/articles/benefits...ame-1428444818

Uno

journal book
    paint set
    book of paper
    sidewalk chalk
    Chutes and Ladders when she was younger. Now it's Scrabble and Boggle.
    Pictionary is great for kids of various ages or just play Charades
    All in one checkers, backgammon, chess set
    dominoes
    Concession to modernity: Electronic Simon. Fun playing in the evening because it lights up, LOL.
    Twister
    Craft kits. This year it's lanyard making. Take a gander at Oriental Trading Supplies or Fat Brain Toys' websites for a nice selection.
    US state puzzle

Last year I purchased a Paperwhite Kindle because the Princess has a lot of summer reading to do for school and I felt this was one techno appliance that made good sense. Certainly easier than packing, storing and keeping track of 15+ books. She often read after lights out since this version has a built-in backlight; worked for me. We take her camping every year for a minimum of 2 weeks soooooo our list of diversions might seem beyond the pale but since I never hear the dreaded words "I'm bored" it all works out nicely.

HTH!
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I have a game box with candy land, chutes and ladders, card games (uno, go fish, old maid, etc). Memory card games would be good at 5.
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Rain poncho, a cheap digital camera and a plastic baggie. Send the kid out to take photos of the rain.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Thanks for the ideas, keep'em coming

Comment

Welllll it all your fault I started inventorying the kid toy container, LOL.
            So far also found a book of stickers, various types of glow sticks (never stint on the couplers cause they make cool unisex jewelry of any size that allow you to spot kiddos w/ ease), and an oversized pair of plastic binoculars.
            2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Bird callers and birding guides
              origami
              kaleidoscope kits http://www.kaleidoscopestoyou.com/ka...FQuFaQodjCUAsQ
              hand held microscopes http://catalog.miniscience.com/catal...icroscope.html
              - Laura
              Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Start learning cat's cradle and other string games with your child. The only equipment is a piece of string! My brother and I had lots of fun with string and great for the car, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpHTPnrYLzQ (Cat's Cradle)

http://www.arvindguptatoys.com/arvin...tringgames.pdf

Comment

Thanks I'll need to start doing some looking around

Comment

Spin the bottle. Truth or Dare. :-0
                    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                      Spin the bottle. Truth or Dare. :-0
                      He dinna say teenagers:D.
                      2017:

Comment

Chess!

Comment

Yeah I think hes a bit young for spin the bottle

Comment

So hows the toy packing going craigthor?
                            I realised I made a mistake in game names. It's not Boggle but Perquackey that's regularly packed on this end. The "P" game has less parts to worry about.
                            2017:

Comment

REI has a ton of fun (and lightweight) games for kids. Our 1st grader loves Spot It. We found it there.
                              New to camping in So Cal!

Comment

Working...
                              X