Connie and the Bear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connie and the Bear

One Tuesday afternoon in August of 2013, Island Park resident, Connie Funkhauser set out for a run to Sawtell Mountain. She outfitted her two German shepherds, Max and Shelby, with bells on their collars. Strapping on her fanny pack with bear spray and a cell phone, she put her whistle lanyard around her neck and loaded her handgun. Connie was off and running.

As she neared the base of Sawtell and the forest thickened, she noticed that Max suddenly showed an alert. Connie scanned the forest where her dog was focusing his attention and saw what initially looked to be a bedded elk at the timber’s edge. Stopping to better assess the situation, she saw the shimmer of a golden fur coat, the movement of legs and realized that she was fifteen yards from a bear. Suddenly, the bear turned his head towards her and her worst fear was confirmed, it was a large grizzly.

The bear took an aggressive step towards her, a mock charge to test her response. Max reciprocated with the same move towards the bear. Connie raised her pistol and shot a round above the animal. The combined responses stopped the bear’s attack and gave Connie time to draw her spray. She began blowing her whistle as her growling dogs held their ground between her and the bear. The grizzly apparently decided that this well-armed, loud woman and her two devoted dogs were more trouble than they were worth. Yelling in a loud and firm voice at the bear, Connie slowly backed away. The encounter culminated in an acknowledgement of one another as the grizzly retreated.
    Connie explained that each day before she runs, she mentally rehearses what she will do in the event of a bear encounter. She was emphatic that one should never run with earbuds because unobstructed hearing is necessary to perceive any danger. She attributes her survival to her preparation and a hand from the man-upstairs.

A successful bear encounter is one that allows both the bear and the individual to continue on without injury. Connie’s experience is a textbook example of how to behave in bear country.
    Mike Bogden
    FlashLantern turns your flashlight into a lantern!

Re: Connie and the Bear

Great story! We don't have Grizz down here, but black bears are a nuisance.
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Good information. My dogs would never have been that well behaved. I love them ,but they can be stupid.

Comment

same here

Comment

Good story. Connie kept her head, was prepared, and had a plan.

My dogs have gone on alert when hiking several times. I never saw the bear, but had a pretty good idea one was fairly close.

I had both dogs go ballistic with barking one evening as I was setting up the tent. They wouldnt stop barking (unusual for most Malamutes), nor would they advance. I looked with high powered flashlight and night vision, but it was staying just out of view in the trees and brush. The next morning when walking we discovered a large pile of fresh bear poop fairly close to camp (not the same direction they were alerting on). The previously not so brave Molly smelled, it, peed on it, then went on about her walk.

I decided to sleep in the back of the truck that night instead of the tent.

Its all good grizzly country around me, even the neighborhood I live to a lesser degree. I never ever go out without some sort of hardware.

Comment

thanx for putting this on - I have bears here at home. One growled at me yesterday, then moved back into the woods. They hate when I shake out a tarp ! These are neighborhood bears. They think this development is a bearMacdonald's. I should have a whistle.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	PS_0134W_STRONGER_BEARS.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	69996
              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Thanks for sharing the story. Sweaty palms after reading it now. I could imagine that much much worse could have happened.

Let me ask you all this: if the dogs engage the bear, is it best to turn and leave - using the encounter to create separation between yourself and the bear? Do you circle back later?

Comment

I would be calling off the dog(s) and assessing if I was going to engage to clear the dog(s) from the bear. Bears come in a distant second to my dog in my priority system.

So far, none of my dogs have expressed an interest to engage, just high alert. I would hope they would engage if a bear actually got ahold of me and will extend the same consideration to them.

Comment

My dogs would be shivering and hiding behind me... I'll be lucky they don't try to push me into the bear so they have more time to get away. Mighty lizard hunters they may be, but a bear is above their pay grade.
                    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
                    X