Going "winter-ish" camping this weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going "winter-ish" camping this weekend

Looks like the camping 2015 is going to get an early start this year. Here in CO we are experiencing a very warm winter. It has been in the 60's here lately (even though today it snowed) and it looks like it is going to be in the 60's this weekend, with over night lows about 40. So it's not going to be hardcore winter camping, but it is camping in Feb.
    It will be a quick overnighter at a local campground, but the lake isn't frozen and there is hiking to be done. Going with the small Marmot tent and taking some other gear to try out.
    Should be a good time.
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Re: Going "winter-ish" camping this weekend

No snow? If warm temps plus snow on the ground, then it is a wet meltdown.

Comment

Not to worry, it will be dried out before then. Most people think Colorado as a frozen tundra in the winter. In truth it is a semi-arid climate, close to a high desert. Except for the mountains, which is a small part of the state. We had 5" of snow yesterday morning, and the roads were dry on the way home last night.

Comment

I envy your temps and opportunity to get the 2015 season started Kingquad. I have relatives that live outside Denver so we always are doing weather comparisons. As I sit here, it's 5 degrees with a -9 wind chill. lol. Just a nip too cold for me. Let us know how it went...maybe take/post some pics for those of us still "wishing" for the weather to turn more tent "friendly".
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Instant tent friendly

Comment

MacGyver - lol. Nice! But with that size Mr Heater, I'm going to need a bigger tent to make it friendly. We're shooting for the end of March for our first 2015 trip. Unless the weather cooperates and warms up a bit before then (and not be a muddy mess). Can always hope.
            2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
            Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
            Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
            Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

During our winter trip last year, I still remember that it had gotten down to 9° at night - without the wind chill. I saw all my buddies standing around the fire, wearing their cold suits and heavy parkas. There I was, in a tee shirt and scrub bottoms, looking out from half unzipped windows, and saying to the guys, "It sure looks cold out there". It was 72° inside. :he:

Comment

I have a Mr. Buddy heater. I wish I had the big buddy, but I don't. And truthfully, I don't use it enough to justify upgrading.

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                  I have a Mr. Buddy heater. I wish I had the big buddy, but I don't. And truthfully, I don't use it enough to justify upgrading.
                  You have me curious how much a difference there is in heating your 14 foot Kodiak compared to my 10 foot. If I remember correctly, I had the heater on medium just about all the time. That would be the same BTUs as the Buddy heater you have. I think the fact that I use the blower fan might be a big factor. I don't know if you've got any way to get 12 volts to your tent, but using zip ties on the handle, or figuring some other way to put a 200mm computer fan over your heater might push the air around enough to compensate for the extra space you've got to heat.

Comment

Truthfully, I don't do much winter camping. Much colder than 34, and I am out. I usually run the heater on high to knock the chill off and then turn it down to maintain. I always shut it off at night while I sleep. I don't know if I am going to take the heater with me this weekend. I am thinking just a white gas lantern. It will be a solo trip in the Marmot.

Comment

Boy it was just nice to get out. I was at a lake and the temps where pretty good for the beginning of Feb. Course the wind picked up after dusk and right after sunrise. I think there were 45 mph gusts, but that was the worst of it. The coyotes started singing after the wind died down. There seemed to be a million stars in the sky. Which made me think I need to get a star guide app or something.

Comment

Working...
                      X