Bike camping/packing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike camping/packing?

This is really something I want to try. Anyone here do this? What's your experience?

Re: Bike camping/packing?

Why yes I have...went on a 2 month bike trip solo in England. I did my own cathedrals and castles tour in 2012. Lots of great parks over there as well as help with maps and bike routes everywhere.I did end up taking a train now and then when the weather got rough( it snowed and I ended up sleeping at an airport) but I have worked and camped in several national parks. But my all time favorite state to camp in is montana...can you say BLM? Lots of land everywhere as well as wildlife.

Comment

I started looking into this a year or so ago, but have yet to put anything together. Seems like it would be fun and maybe a little easier on me aging knees. I think I would enjoy starting off with a trip on some forest service roads before moving to tougher trails. I have been reading some things on BIKEPACKING.NET

Comment

Yes, I have done a lot of bicycle touring and bicycle camping. You will have to do your research because it is different from backpacking. Plan for breakdowns and be able to repair anything that breaks.

Of all the things you pack, the most important thing will be tools and spare parts. The good news is that you can have all the tools you need in a kit that will fit in your hand. You will need to repair flats and occasionally replace tubes. Spokes will break. Wheels will need to be true (especially when you hit a bump with a heavy loaded bike).

Know how to fix everything on your bike. Iit will be immensely helpful to have the knowledge to be able to completely disassemble and re-assemble your bicycle. I can do it that and it is a great benefit for bicycle touring.

When your bike breaks, it is like breaking a leg. You are just crippled and it happens in the worst places at the worst possible times.

You can camp along the way, but you will appreciate spending a few nights in hotels too. Some guys pack everything they need in the form of a credit card in their wallet and leave all the camping gear behind.

Bicycle touring is very fun and very rewarding. In my opinion, bicycle touring is the absolutely best way to tour - better than walking, car, train, plane, or ship. You move along at a good speed, meet lots of people, and travel slow enough to see lots of things most people miss.

Comment

Working...
        X