Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reflective Guyline Comparison - 4 brands go head to head

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
    Conversely for the first time ever I tripped over a non reflective guy line on my Eureka......
    What's become known as "The Street Light", a 3 watt LED light, rigged to the top of a 12 foot golf ball retriever pole which is clamped to the picnic table with a pipe clamp, putting it about 16 feet in the air, connected to a small 12 volt gel cell, lights up the entire site with just enough light that, even in the middle of the night, in a still-not-quite-awake stupor, avoiding lines and rocks and tree roots is easy. Easier than that run on sentence I just put up.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
      Nothing on Spectra reflective guylines?
      lol....I thought about it Irate. Spectra and Dyneema (like the core in Kelty Triptease) are very similar synthetic materials, actually the same chemically, with the only real difference in how they are manufactured/produced by the two companies, Honeywell and DSM, respectively.

Why I didn't include either:

Both pure Spectra and Dyneema line tend to be very slick, making the hold on certain types of knots more difficult (hence the nylon outer layer on Kelty Triptease which assists knot holding ability). They also have very little stretch...harder on grommets and/or nylon loops should the wind kick up. Both of them, however, are very light weight and possess great strength considering their super thin diameter. They are great lines.

I just felt that these types of lines were more suited towards those that go ultra-light and count grams, which isn't the target audience (for the most part) of this forum. My focus was to have forum members consider taking the time to replace the standard guy lines provided with their tents/tarps with something reflective to prevent injuries and/or equipment damage from adults/kids tripping over them. The ones I selected seemed best for my application.

Which brand of line you select comes down to personal choice based on your specific need/application. Most all will do a good job. Even hanging aluminum foil or white cloth strips on lines will help increase nighttime visibility.
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
        What's become known as "The Street Light", a 3 watt LED light, rigged to the top of a 12 foot golf ball retriever pole which is clamped to the picnic table with a pipe clamp, putting it about 16 feet in the air, connected to a small 12 volt gel cell, lights up the entire site with just enough light that, even in the middle of the night, in a still-not-quite-awake stupor, avoiding lines and rocks and tree roots is easy. Easier than that run on sentence I just put up.
        As I spend more and more time on this site, I am beginning to discover why your nickname is MacGyver. That is a neat solution! Although I do wonder how in the world, or under what influence, do you come up with such creative ideas. lolol
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
          This is an informative and engrossing thread and I thank @65hoosier for writing it. It's obvious that a lot of time and thought went into the project.
          I purchased 20 meters of Ace Cord's 3mm reflective paracord last year and restrung most of the guylines on my Paha Que screen tent. It certainly made a huge difference in visibility and walking near by. Also seems to have discouraged those who like to walk thru the campsite. Conversely for the first time ever I tripped over a non reflective guy line on my Eureka......
          Thank you NYCgrrl. You've only tripped over a guy line once? You must be graceful. I had to replace those seemingly invisible guy lines. As I'm aging, the word "clumsy" seems to be used much more than the word "nimble" in describing my moves around the campsite. :he:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
            Thank you NYCgrrl. You've only tripped over a guy line once? You must be graceful. I had to replace those seemingly invisible guy lines. As I'm aging, the word "clumsy" seems to be used much more than the word "nimble" in describing my moves around the campsite. :he:
            Only once that I can recall in life but of course I was mentally gloating over the reflective lines on the other tent when I went down. I suspect it looked like a classic slapstick routine but you know what they say: Pride comes before the 3 Stooges or or something to that effect....
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
              My mommy said I shouldn't play with electricity and and I took that to heart. Come north and camp next to us:D.
              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
              X