whats your cookware ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats your cookware ?

What kind of cookware do you use for car tent camping ?
    All cast iron ? some of each ? store bought set ? thrift store pots and pans ? mods to anything ?
    Im looking at a store bought set but it cost a lot. Thrift store pots and pans should work and maybe add a cast iron fri pan and a dutch oven for on the fire. Thrift stuff for on the stove.
    Just wondering what y'all are useing and how it's working for you. And where you got it. Tks.

Re: whats your cookware ?

I've got quite a conflict going on when I go camping. I like to take a lot of luxuries but still try to cut down the bulk wherever I can. I cook for one, so one of the areas where I saved a lot of space was by doing away with all the large pots and pans I used to carry. A 1 qt. pot and 7.5 in. frypan from an REI mess kit and a 2 quart pot with lid are all I need to get by.

Comment

2 Qt pressure cooker
      Teflon fry pan
      Stove top. Old school percolating Coffee pot
      Paper thin roll-up tyoe cutting board

Besides that is a mix of cast iron and trift store stuff. I pick from this collection as needed depending on the menue.

For me, the most valuable of all is the pressure cooker. A big pot of hot bean stew or chili or split pea soup can be made from dry beans to soup within an hour - all preperations included.

Comment

I am not a tent camper but this is what I take in my teardrop trailer. If I am going to camp with a large group I carry a 12" camp dutch oven. By myself or just a few friends a 10" DO. Then I have a #3 (about 5") cast iron fry pan. Perfect for 2 fried eggs for a breakfast sandwich. Then I have a 10" teflon fry pan. I have a nesting pair of sauce pans that I may replace with a better set.

Comment

Originally posted by bluestar99 View Post
          I am not a tent camper but this is what I take in my teardrop trailer. If I am going to camp with a large group I carry a 12" camp dutch oven. By myself or just a few friends a 10" DO. Then I have a #3 (about 5") cast iron fry pan. Perfect for 2 fried eggs for a breakfast sandwich. Then I have a 10" teflon fry pan. I have a nesting pair of sauce pans that I may replace with a better set.
          What is your nesting set now and what would you replace it with ? i like the idea of a nesting set and have been looking at the texsport trailblazer set. Cost a lot and i dont know about the quality.

Comment

I use the same stuff as at home for the most part, but you have to be careful of the handles on Reverware pots when cooking on a fire. Sometimes I take a cast iron frypan, other times a Reverware stainless/copper bottom pan.

Couple people have asked why my pots at home were so dark on the outside.

For coffee, an enamelware pot, camp style coffee.

Comment

For car camping, my skillet is the last 10 inch non-stick that got retired and replaced in the kitchen because the coating was starting to give up the ghost. I find that non-stick only lasts a couple of years, but a retired model is great for camping.

I try to cook most stuff on the charcoal grill for easier cleanup, but I have a set of nesting pots (2 qts is the largest) and those worthless "fry pan" lids. I have a little GSI kettle for boiling water.

I'm not cooking for a crowd, so I don't need a lot of elaborate or large options. I try to keep camping meal simple -- with all the prep done at home.

Comment

Originally posted by tramp844 View Post
                What is your nesting set now and what would you replace it with ? i like the idea of a nesting set and have been looking at the texsport trailblazer set. Cost a lot and i dont know about the quality.
                I am looking at this set. I may leave a few pieces at home but the removable handles work well and the quality seems good. I am using a set I bought many years ago that is similar but much smaller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231283738155...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Comment

Originally posted by bluestar99 View Post
                  I am looking at this set. I may leave a few pieces at home but the removable handles work well and the quality seems good. I am using a set I bought many years ago that is similar but much smaller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231283738155...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
                  WOW ! nice set ! but the cost !!! I know, i know, you get what you pay for. But....WOW !

Comment

when it comes to dishware we have Sierra Enamelware, it has been holding up pretty good. As for post and pany, you really want to use light weight pans, easy to clean with no plastic handles. I have been been bad, I have tephlon pans ... but I just found these pans and might be buying them soon!

http://www.coleman.com/product/famil...0#.VFa0WMeJOuY

Hopefully this helped. If you are backpacking you really just need a pan to boil water and MRE meals, they dont taste the best but they have all of the nutrients that the human body needs.
                    Visit www.gearspoke.com for all of your rental needs!

Comment

your thoughts on this..http://www.texsport.net/cast-iron-co...um-p-1136.html
                      This is just for my car/tent/ heavy no hike camping. And yes , for my ultralite backpacking i use a snowpeak trek 700 & 450 cup. Just do freezer bag cooking.
                      I was looking for something for 2 to 4 people and better/cooler than a bunch of thrift store / from home stuff. I got the ultralite thing down , its scaleing up that hard.
                      Your link to the coleman stuff was great, looks good and $5 less than the texsport stuff. I would love to hear from those that use one or the other or both.
                      I bought an all alum. Set off ebay , but i have never been crazy about cooking in alum. Am i wrong about alum. ?

Comment

Bluestar, that Magma set is gorgeous, although the frypan doesn't look coated. Gearspoke, that Coleman set looks pretty good for a pricepoint under $50.00. As far as our gear, out of the nesting set, two of three pots of our LiCamp gear are still going strong after over 25 years, but the useless frypan top isn't coated, and the smallest pot suffered failed welds last season, so it got replaced with a MSR Stowaway. The cast iron superheavyweight frying pans have bee replaced with the GSI Pinnacle series, it's the new-gen coated pan that is made for metal utensils - without the hotspot issues of Lodge and other cast iron jobs. The GSI Bugaboo series, at around $100, is enticing, but having only one potholder meant I would have to buy a couple more for my setup, and I really only needed a single MSR Stoway. In my experience, nothing cheap is good, and nothing good is cheap. If you want gear that lasts, keep this in mind when you shop.
                        Last edited by tplife; 11-02-2014, 05:49 PM.
                        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

[QUOTE=tplife;37003]Bluestar, that Magma set is gorgeous, although the frypan doesn't look coated.QUOTE]

The magma products are high quality.

I have been using their stainless bbq for years on my boat.

They have numerous sets available with different types of non stick coatings

Check em out here: http://www.magmaproducts.com/Product.../cookware.html

Comment

Originally posted by tramp844 View Post
                            What kind of cookware do you use for car tent camping ?
                            All cast iron ? some of each ? store bought set ? thrift store pots and pans ? mods to anything ?
                            Im looking at a store bought set but it cost a lot. Thrift store pots and pans should work and maybe add a cast iron fri pan and a dutch oven for on the fire. Thrift stuff for on the stove.
                            Just wondering what y'all are useing and how it's working for you. And where you got it. Tks.
                            What I take depends on the menu. That being said my standbys are a CI skillet from home and a 2.5 or 3.5 qt anodized steel pot for liquids. Bought the pot at a thrift shop and it also gets used at home now too. I also own a lobster pot (thrift shop purchase) and a CI wok that doubles as a paella pan (end of season sale online). Oh right and a lil sauce pan (cup size).

I'm trying to simplify my kitchen gear having gotten past my initial " Wooohooo! I can carry what I want" phase.:he: The 2 pot packing list has been working well for up to 4 people-2 kids, 2 adults. Used to take a CI griddle but have learned that grilling directly on the grate or using aluminum foil will do just fine.

I retro fitted a wicker picnic basket to hold dishes, eating and cooking utensils, drink ware, napery, and stuff like bottle openers, measuring cup/utility bowl (bought a silicone one from a Corning outlet; can't recall what I paid for it but it was less than 5 bucks), etc.
                            Last edited by NYCgrrl; 11-03-2014, 12:47 AM.
                            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Years ago a friend of mine bought me a Camp Chef cast iron set. It is all I have ever needed.
                              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                              – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                              X