Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas Gifts For Campers-What's Your Top 5 Items?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Christmas Gifts For Campers-What's Your Top 5 Items?

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
    I have a mini pan like that - and a mini pot with lid. I've never used them. They really aren't good for doing anything other than melting butter (for popcorn) or chocolate (for fruit, etc.). You can't even fry an egg because you can't flip it. For not much more space, you can just bring your small saucepan and be able to actually cook...
    Calvin Rutstrum, one of my favorite outdoors writers, mentioned that he had small "camp cooking" gear, but when travelling with Indians he met and travelled with in Canadas backwoods, he said they used very few pots of pans, and usually larger ones. He ended up trimming his gear down drastically.

This was back in the days of canoe travel or dog sled travel in the winter, in the early 1900's. In thinking about that, I realized I could do more with fewer larger pots/pans than with small ones. Backpacking may be a legitimate place to go as small as possible, but if I can take decent sized cook gear, I do.

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
      A great gift from Costco are the throw blankets. They have one for $20 or so that is extra thick and warm and divinely soft. I have 2 in the RV. On cold nights, I put one over my regular bedding and I'm as warm as can be. They have lighter weight ones that are great for the car. I have more than I could possibly use and I still can't pass them by.

I'm getting my Christmas present early - the RV is in the shop having the front fuel tank reconnected! That will double the distance I can go before refueling.
      I agree with you about throw blankets. We used to carry them while camping in cold weather. We have a bunch of them in our home.
      Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
      sigpic

Comment

Another lover of Snowpeak stuff! Wish I could justify the purchase of the Baja Burner Stove but already started on their fire pit system. Oh. but. what if I NEEDED a cold weather cooker?
        Demmit, hwc! You're no good, LOL.

And so this is Christmas/Hanukkah and what have we here?

I would be vewwy happy if I found the following under the tree:

http://snowpeak.com/collections/fire...s/jikaro-table

Fireplace Grill Bridge (L)

$ 35.95
        A great starting place to add on different types of grills, griddles, and start your outdoor open fire cooking on your Large Pack & Carry Fire Place.

2 of these:
        http://www.nemoequipment.com/product...zon+Blue%29+14

a
        http://www.caranddriver.com/hyundai/santa-fe

as a towing vehicle

and this travel trailer

http://www.safaricondo.com/fr/caravanes_R1713
        Last edited by NYCgrrl; 11-03-2014, 02:10 AM.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Wow! You are breaking the bank with all this Snow Peak gear. I sure like the Snow Peak table with the grill in the middle.
          sigpic

Comment

I really didn't "need" any more camping gear, but these Snow Peak items look great.
            Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Snow Peak is probably best known in the US for their titanium cooksets. Like this combo with a 1 liter pot (34 ounces) and a 780 ml pot (26 ounces) with "fry pan" lids and a mesh bag:

They make an aluminum version and a Japanese made titanium version that weighs under 12 ounces.

This set nest inside of a 2 liter (68 ounce) titanium pot for something a little bigger:

The entire nesting set with three pot, three titanium lids, and stuff sack weights 18 ounces. These are wider pots, a bit more suited for car camping stoves. They also make some sets with taller narrower shapes for backpacking stoves.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	pixel.gif
Views:	4
Size:	43 Bytes
ID:	69973I sure like the titanium for back packing. For car camping, I prefer stainless steel. This stainless steel snow peak is on my radar.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pixel.gif
Views:	4
Size:	43 Bytes
ID:	69973

sigpic

Comment

maybe not for car camping, althought texsport do make larger sets more suited for car camping
                  but i have the following texsport camping set which has been great,
                  have had it for about 15 years, and looks almost new.
                  even after camping where its blackened and burnt its scrubs clean,
                  wife makes comments how come i dont get the household cookware as clean as the camping cookware.
                  and prices are reasonable.

Comment

Working...
                  X