Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road/Off Road Maps

Howdy...
    You know, when I first started camping I used what maps I got at full service gas stations. Now if that don't tell you how young I am, nothing will. Anyway, to find good locations to camp and the highways and byways to get us there I have found that the "Road & Recreation Atlas's at good book stores to really be a boon. Sure, it's a smack in the face that you have to shell out $30.00 and tax to Uncle Sam, but the atlases are worth their weight in gold. In most stores that I have found them in is the travel section(duh!)...(why did I just say that?)! Listen here's what you get:

They feature landscape maps with detailed landforms. Public Lands Maps with game management unit boundaries. Complete Recreation Guide with searchable catorized listings. Cities, towns, ghost towns and locales. Rivers, streams, lakes, arroyos(that's spanish for washes) and other water features. GPS grids. Within the confines there are sections on Attractions, notable cities, and museums; CAMPGROUNDS; RV PARKS(it's gold I tell ya), boat launch sites, Parks & Monuments, Even info on hunting and fishing information. We own every single state west of the mighty Missouri River! I didn't buy them all at once it took some time. But if I want to run(drive) to yellowstone tomorrow I know where I'm going!

Here the scoop:
    (Name your western state):
    Benchmark Maps,
    Medford Oregon
    http://www.benchmarkmaps.com

The scale is 1:400,000 it gives you a very good basis, by cracky! If for example I wanted to see where I took my wife & kids when I first went camping...looking at these maps it is pin-pointed almost to the minute. If you want to see a larger piece of the area where I camped then that is another map. I got those hung in frames around my den! I'm almost global; you buy clothes made in Korea, well, my 1st born( that is more info than you need to know...she was made there too)!

Everyone should have one or two of these benchmark maps, it's like carrying the internet without the internet. Very well defined and up-to-date of the printing date. Excellent source! You won't ever be disappointed! Thanks for letting me share!
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 04-22-2009, 05:02 PM.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
Working...
X