Best Camp Whisky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Camp Whisky

I don't know if this topic has ever been mentioned directly before. I have read a couple of posts from folks who talk fondly of biting off a piece of whisky when at camp.

Everybody has their favorite poison, of course.

What do you think is the best camp whisky and how do you recommend serving it?

Re: Best Camp Whisky

It's a camping treat for me, pretty much the only time I drink alcohol. I like a single malt scotch. For car camping.

For multi-night car camping, I have a 10 ounce GSI plastic flask:

http://gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/10_fl._oz._flask

For overnight backpacking, I have a little 4 ounce Nalgene bottle.

Comment

I used to favor the Fireball Whiskey until last December. At the Cardinal/niners game I bit off more than I could chew. (I didn't throw up but only because of a massive effort of willpower) Since then it just doesn't go down the same. In fact someone brought a bottle to the game yesterday and I did drink some....maybe 4-5 small shots but it wasn't the same.

If you haven't tried it it tastes like the Atomic Fireballs candy.

So I am back to my old favorite....Parrot Bay
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

I bet some whiskey (or whisky) would taste pretty good from one these fancy little titanium flasks from Snow Peak in Japan:

http://snowpeak.com/collections/flas...m-curved-flask

Holds 6.7 ounces. "Only" $150.

-----------------------

My camping beverage of choice lately has been either Oban or Lagavuiln single malt scotch. Definitely for sipping.

Comment

Originally posted by hwc1954 View Post
          I bet some whiskey (or whisky) would taste pretty good from one these fancy little titanium flasks from Snow Peak in Japan:

-----------------------

My camping beverage of choice lately has been either Oban or Lagavuiln single malt scotch. Definitely for sipping.
          :surprised:
          My booze isn't in there long enough to get a metallic taste :he:
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

I make a cinnamon whiskey. If anyone wants to make it I will hunt up the recipe. I use to buy a Cherry Whiskey by Phillips that was REAL good in hot chocolate. Just having trouble finding that brand now. Most of the distilled Cherry Whiskey has way to strong of a cherry flavor for me.

Comment

Fireball is pretty good. Course we all sound like a bunch of teenage girls now. I can't do Jack, makes me violent.
              Nights camped in 2019: 24
              Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by hwc1954 View Post

-----------------------

Ah yes, Japan. 10 ounces of whisky for $150. Don't be fooled into thinking this stuff is some kind of special ambrosia worth the equivalent of nearly $1,000 for a 1.75 liter bottle. That just ain't so.

The average Japanese does not have a cottage or a boat or a snowmobile, or a trailer. If he is a camper, his tiny cramped apartment will barely have enough space for camping equipment.

The sad reality is that most Japanese do not really have many things they can spend their leisure money on - except expensive booze, things you can swallow, sights you see and leave behind, and travel that can be documented digitally.

The Japanese are nice folks and some of them hike and camp and ski. However, to participate in these activities with those nice folks IN JAPAN makes you feel a little sorry for them and makes you really appreciate the USA. Everything is "micro" in Japan and terribly expensive and oppressively restricted. "Camp Here - EXACTLY HERE" in this parking lot called a campsite - a few feet from your neighbor. "Don't do this, don't do that". Even if there is not sign saying that you cannot do something, there are social rules that say you cannot or should not. In fact, even if there is no social or other rule saying that you cannot, the accepted behavior is that if other people are not doing it, then you should not do it either. Don't ask why. That is just the way it is. Try walking off trail in Japan, and you will have a hundred people shouting and waving to you in a friendly way to let you know that you have lost your mind and gone off course.

NOW that said.... it would be cool to dumpster dive in Japan and get a couple of those cool Japanese whisky bottles and re-fill them with Evan Williams middle shelf bourbon.

Last edited by Mike; 10-13-2014, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Depends. Mountains and splurging gets me Woodford Reserve with a splash of water. Elsewhere and same with Johnny Walker Black. If its just the fellas and lots of drinking its Canadian Hunter with a variety of mixing, but usually wind up not even bothering with a glass!

Comment

Ha. The $150 is just for the empty titanium flask. You have to supply your own beverage to put in it!

In the US, the big dollar campers are all in motorhomes and RVs. I guess that market in Japan is high-end car camping. Snow Peak caters to that market with some gorgeous products. I thought my little Weber portable charcoal grill was pretty fancy, but check out this bad boy:

http://snowpeak.com/products/large-bbq-box-ck-160

Scroll down for the pics of it mounted in one of Snow Peak's portable tables, modular design to fit their charcoal grills, their butane burners, their bamboo cutting boards, etc.

Comment

Well... it's labelled a liqueur and I've been told countless times that Southern Comfort is a "girl's drink". But, never having cared much about what people think about me - definitely not about what I do or don't drink - and since SoCo's base is bourbon whiskey, I still call it whiskey. 100 proof whiskey that is, yes, sweeter than Jack, sweeter than Maker's Mark and even Yukon Jack. I love the stuff and have since well before I was legal. It's great straight, over ice and mixes with any number of things. A good strong ginger ale is a favorite, but typically I spend my weekends in the woods with SoCo in one hand and a Red Bull in the other.

Comment

A nice blend is whisky and 100% real maple syrup. To be specific, Bourbon and maple syrup. I think the Canadians are already selling this pre-blended, but you can blend your own to your personal satisfaction as well.

Comment

I'm SO not a drinker.

I do, however, like this stuff,

Hmm,...cant make the image appear where I wanted it. Its at the bottom.

I was introduced to it in camp in the morning by a friend I was camping with. He suggested a bit in my coffee. After a discussion about "No really, I don't drink stuff like that", and him "really, try it" back and forth, I gave in. Wow! I had no idea whiskey could be good in coffee. Its also good in apple juice or hot chocolate. a bottle lasts me about 6 months, sometimes more. It was very good in coffee when I had pneumonia to clear the crud out of my throat in the morning. Suggestion courtesy of my mom.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Malamute; 10-13-2014, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Malamute View Post
                            I'm SO not a drinker.

I do, however, like this stuff,

Hmm,...cant make the image appear where I wanted it. Its at the bottom.

I was introduced to it in camp in the morning by a friend I was camping with. He suggested a bit in my coffee. After a discussion about "No really, I don't drink stuff like that", and him "really, try it" back and forth, I gave in. Wow! I had no idea whiskey could be good in coffee. Its also good in apple juice or hot chocolate. a bottle lasts me about 6 months, sometimes more. It was very good in coffee when I had pneumonia to clear the crud out of my throat in the morning. Suggestion courtesy of my mom.
                            Try it in hot cider...

I am mostly a beer drinker & honestly have never brought a bottle of liquor with me on a camping trip. However, this thread has me dreaming of sitting in front of the fire on a chilly night with a warm mug of real home made Irish Cream.

Comment

Originally posted by rajncajn View Post
                              Try it in hot cider...

I am mostly a beer drinker & honestly have never brought a bottle of liquor with me on a camping trip. However, this thread has me dreaming of sitting in front of the fire on a chilly night with a warm mug of real home made Irish Cream.

I had forgotten that. It is in fact very good in hot cider.

This is where I first had Bulleit in camp, and is the actual day and coffee cup in question.

Comment

Working...
                              X