Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the Best Camping Forum?

Hey all,

There was a recent comment from a member about the moderator not getting back in a reasonable time and was just curious if any of you checked out other camping forums?

Maybe forums that provide a little different spin or interaction than this one? I will say that it seems like this is one of the better forums out there currently.

Just interested to hear if there are other places to get your questions answered if you need a reply ASAP.

dave

Re: Is this the Best Camping Forum?

havent come across too many dedicated just to camping
    most are larger outdoor sites with maybe a section on camping
    i am active on other outdoor sites for various activities
    but for camping like to come back to this forum

Comment

Good to hear. What outdoor forums have you found that have similar camping related content? I know making connections is the best way to learn so I am teaching out a bit further.

Comment

You might want to look into CanvasCampers.com. They seem to lean a little more towards pop-ups and small trailers, but there's significant tent presence there, too. I've got my own website with a few pages devoted to camping with one in particular being camping-related links at http://home.comcast.net/~mhampton197...ing_links.html.
        Mike Hampton
        If it's "it is," it's "it's" otherwise it's "its."

Comment

This is the best one I have found....but to be honest I haven't looked in a while. I like this place. It is small but growing.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

I had checked out several camping forums, some have gone defunct from lack of use, others were so slow I stopped using them. This one seems to be by far the busiest, has the most traffic, and the most experienced & knowledgable campers. I'm staying.
            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I have been a member of www.tnttt.com for about 8 years. The main focus is teardrops and tiny travel trailers. By far the best forum to help builders get a trailer built. But it also has a ton of good info on camping and places to camp with gatherings all over the country. Every form of camping is welcome to join and participate.

Comment

campingforums.com has a pretty good mix of campers including tenters, car campers, trailer campers and some RV.

Perhaps what is most interesting is that some of the folks here have gone the full gamut - starting out as backpackers, going to car camping, graduating to trailers, and retiring to RV. They share the change of life experience and provide insight and knowledge as to when and why they made the changes along with information and shortcuts for each type of camping.

Comment

I am on a few other forums for camping. This is a good one. It does seems to be a little quieter than the other ones I'm on. I usually have to wait a good day or two before coming back so there is enough new material to reply to where as other sites there is new material constantly... Not a bad thing though, just a fact. I like this one a lot and will stay! There is always a lot of good info and good conversations

Comment

I visit several. They each have different things they emphasize. This is smaller, and generally oriented towards more "civilized" aspects, developed campgrounds, families, etc. Bushcraftusa is strong on learning outdoorsy stuff, like finding things to eat, some hunting, making gear, fire making by different methods (flint and steel, bow drill, fire steels, etc), hammock and tarp camping, backpacking, some vehicle camping. There are several pretty good bushcrafters that have youtube channels they make about bushcrafting. Expedition Portal is vehicle oriented, but more 4wd backcountry use (overlanding) and extended expeditions (a number of world class travelers), both of which interest me to read about, and I've done the 4wd type camping more than anything else. I've seen some awesome videos of back country travelling. Some are very seriously lunatics about getting back into crazily rough places to travel in,...and it looks like a blast to me. Fun one, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAIUPl-L1ZY some of their others are good also. The TNTTT forum had recently captured my attention, teardrops are interesting to me, and an offroad capable and relatively self contained one is in my future at some point.

All are interesting to me, and cater to different aspects of camping.
                    Last edited by Malamute; 10-12-2014, 08:19 PM.

Comment

The delay getting moderated posts to show up is certainly a turn-off for a new user. There's not much sense of participation.

Mike
                      Mike Hampton

Comment

Originally posted by mhampton View Post
                        You might want to look into CanvasCampers.com. They seem to lean a little more towards pop-ups and small trailers, but there's significant tent presence there, too. I've got my own website with a few pages devoted to camping with one in particular being camping-related links at http://home.comcast.net/~mhampton197...ing_links.html.
                        Thanks for the links. I will check into the Canvas Campers site as well. I thought it would always be fun to have one of those campers but woried about leaking. Have you ever used a pop up tent?

Comment

Originally posted by stewardc View Post
                          Thanks for the links. I will check into the Canvas Campers site as well. I thought it would always be fun to have one of those campers but woried about leaking. Have you ever used a pop up tent?
                          My only experience in a popup was when I was in junior high and I went camping with a friend's family. It was a home-built design (the dad was an aeronautical engineer for a defense contractor) - very compact when closed, but LOTS of room when opened. No leaks or drips at any time. I would take one in a heartbeat. My wife isn't much for camping and this would let her sleep up off the ground.
                          Mike Hampton

Comment

Originally posted by stewardc View Post

Tried that site. It's a write-off.
                            1) Their Rule Two is off-putting. Not exactly a deal breaker, but close.
                            2) Making a poster have to go through the silly verification routine, copying text and copying colored text backwards when trying to post a response to a thread, is absolutely a show-stopper. Did that when signing on, don't Make me do it for EVERY posting!
                            Bad form..........

I'll stay here.
                            I also am a member on the "CheapRVLiving" and "IRV2" forums. Good places for info on camping and living in various vehicles/campers.
                            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
                              Tried that site. It's a write-off.
                              1) Their Rule Two is off-putting. Not exactly a deal breaker, but close.
                              2) Making a poster have to go through the silly verification routine, copying text and copying colored text backwards when trying to post a response to a thread, is absolutely a show-stopper. Did that when signing on, don't Make me do it for EVERY posting!
                              Bad form..........

I'll stay here.
                              I also am a member on the "CheapRVLiving" and "IRV2" forums. Good places for info on camping and living in various vehicles/campers.
                              Could you expound a little on "Rule Two" please? I can't find it anywhere. As for the verification routine, I only had to do that once when registering, never again for any posts. This place is nice enough, but the lag for moderation at the beginning is almost enough to discourage a new member.
                              Mike Hampton

Comment

Working...
                              X