New Hobby: Snowshoeing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Hobby: Snowshoeing

Now that the weather is starting to turn a bit cloudier here in Washington, I have decided to take on a new hobby... Snowshoeing! Never have done it, did my research, found out that people have been snowshoeing for the last 6,000 years... what? But it wasn't until the 1970's people started doing it as a fun activity and not just a work requirement.

So I am going to buy a pair, unfortunately, I have no clue where to start. I know there is REI and Any Mountain, but does anyone know what I should buy. Like what is a good brand? Or what materials should I be focusing on.

Anyhoo is anyone else going to try a different hobby with the changing seasons?
    Visit www.gearspoke.com for all of your rental needs!

Re: New Hobby: Snowshoeing

ive been looking for my first pair of snowshoes myself

many times wholesale stores like BJ's has set, shoes/poles/bag for like $50-$60
    are the best quality? probably not but looks like an affordable option to get one started
    if you want quality prices can shoot up there to $200-$300
    i have been looking on craigslist, for a while but havent come across a decent pair yet, usually too old, or too close to retail

Comment

Alrighty, thank you! Have you ever tried snowshoeing? Where did you go? What should I be weary of? Im sorry for the questions, I just don't want to fall out of loving this hobby, so I am making sure I am prepared for anything and everything!

Comment

i havent tried it yet,
        i would like to snow shoe as where i have land in northern NY,
        in winter am often crawling through waist deep snow to get to/from trails,
        only advise i can give right now is to know your limits, that 5 mile hike in summer is a different story in deep snow,
        also be prepared to dress accordingly, adding/removing layers as needed
        when selecting snow shoes size and weight limit is important
        http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/snowshoes.html

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
          i havent tried it yet,
          i would like to snow shoe as where i have land in northern NY,
          in winter am often crawling through waist deep snow to get to/from trails,
          only advise i can give right now is to know your limits, that 5 mile hike in summer is a different story in deep snow,
          also be prepared to dress accordingly, adding/removing layers as needed
          when selecting snow shoes size and weight limit is important
          http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/snowshoes.html
          Agree - any hiking (w snowshoes or not) in deeper snow will require more effort. I do a lot of my hiking during the winter months and anything deeper than 4-5 inches of snow on the trail always slows me down (and I can't go as far). Plan and dress accordingly, start with short hikes, and have a great time! Winter is a great time to be outside! No bugs...no crowds...easier to spot wildlife. Yey!
          2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

If you can, rent snow shoes for the first couple of times. Or by used such as craigslist or a Facebook garage sale page. That will let you know if you like it. Snowshoeing is much harder than walking, what sucked for me, was that all the normal trails where already packed down. So the snow shoes where kind of pointless.
            Nights camped in 2019: 24
            Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Choosing snowshoes is like choosing a tent. You have to consider the conditions you'll be undertaking when selecting equipment. First, and foremost, will you be ascending and descending mountains or will you be snowshoeing on relatively flat terrain?

If it is the former, then most snowshoes will not be the right choice. You'll want something that grips better. Most people I know who snowshoe in the moutains near me, use MSR Lightning or Evos. They provide fantastic grip needed on mountains at the cost of additional weight.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/snowshoes/technology

If you are hiking on easy, relatively-flat terrain, then you can choose amongst the many. I'd go to a local supplier and try a few on. Personally, I do not snowshoe mountains so grip was not important. Weight was. I have snowshoes from a company called Northernlites. They make the lightest snowshoes out there. I have a pair of the regular-size snowshoes (Backcountry model) and also a pair of the racing snowshoes which are very small. Truth be told, when I hike with friends who don't have snowshoes I lend them the full sized ones and I use the racing model. The small, racing model is just a blast to snowshoe in. I can jog on snow and they are almost weightless. The notion of "float" doesn't really apply to where I hike. Maybe if you're hiking in 4' wet snow you'd want a snowshoe that floats but I've never needed it.

When I've switched snowshoes and let friends try the race snowshoes, they've always had a blast too. If I could only have one pair, it would be the race snowshoes. YMMV

http://www.northernlites.com/catalogc.cfm?catId=21905

Click image for larger version

Name:	5378257273_e191367990_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	69964
              Last edited by wiiawiwb; 10-09-2014, 12:04 PM.
              Moss Big Dipper
              Alaskan Guide 8
              Alaskan Guide 6
              NorthFace Tadpole 23
              ALPS Exteme 3
              Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                If you can, rent snow shoes for the first couple of times. Or by used such as craigslist or a Facebook garage sale page. That will let you know if you like it. Snowshoeing is much harder than walking, what sucked for me, was that all the normal trails where already packed down. So the snow shoes where kind of pointless.
                Smart thinking, thank you!

Comment

I've done it a few times. It is hard work but a great workout. Not my cup of tea but a lot of people love it.

I'd say rent for your first time or buy a cheaper pair just so you can get a feel for it. I don't have a clue of any good ideas though.

Comment

I've been snowshoeing for a couple of years. Getting out in winter is the only way to stay sane and avoid cabin fever! Here in New Hampshire, with steep icy terrain, people tend to go with high traction models -- like the MSR Evo (plastic) and Lightning (metal) models. These offer crampon-like traction to keep from sliding on hills. With deep powder and flat terrain, the traction won't matter. You'll want bigger models and maximum "flotation" to keep from sinking.

I stick to trails that have already been broken out by other people. I've broken trail in fresh snow a few times and it's crazy hard. I'll leave that to the young guns!

For winter hikes, I lash the snowshoes to my pack and start out in light traction (MicroSpikes). If the trail is packed, the spikes are fine. Loose snow and I go to the snowshoes, often switching back and forth.

There's a learning curve. It's takes a slow deliberate cadence (for me). My max is about 3 to 4 miles. I mostly do flatter terrain, but I've done some small mountains on snow shoes in the White Mountains -- Mt. Pemi, Lonesome Lake Trail, etc. With the short daylight and a respect for winter conditions, I try to stay within my limits.

I have the Evo Lightening Ascents and have been really happy. I thought the heel lifts might be a gimmick, but they are awesome on sustained climbs. This guy has a great series of videos on beginner, intermediate, and steep terrain snowshoes.

Comment

I do a lot of snowshoeing and winter camping. I suggest that you get snowshoes that give you the most float - ie, bigger, wider. The small snowshoes that they show these days with people running and jumping around on are foo-foo. Snowshoes have to keep you on top of the snow or you will spend too much effort shlepping around trying to pull your legs out of your foot holes. There is nothing new or technical that has been invented in the past 200 years in terms of geometry. More surface area means more float.

Also, try to go lightweight. Recent materials like aluminum frames have improved the weight over the old wood and rawhide snowshoes.

Finally, get bindings that are easy to get on/off and give solid attachment to the snowshoe. You don't want wiggly bindings. You want easy on, easy off, and easy to adjust. Imagine being bundled in thick winter clothes with gloves on and trying to adjust or put on your snowshoes - most probably on top of soft deep snow.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                        I do a lot of snowshoeing and winter camping. I suggest that you get snowshoes that give you the most float - ie, bigger, wider. The small snowshoes that they show these days with people running and jumping around on are foo-foo. Snowshoes have to keep you on top of the snow or you will spend too much effort shlepping around trying to pull your legs out of your foot holes.
                        I think that depends on the terrain and snow conditions. I got the optional flotation tails for my MSR snowshoes and have never used them. In fact, for the terrain I hike in NH -- icy, steep, mostly packed or broken out trails -- I probably could have gone with the 22 inch model instead of the 25 inch model. Around here, snowshoes are as much for traction (like big crampons) as for flotation. Bigger is actually more cumbersome. That would be completely different in a climate with deep powder.

I think it all starts with an assessment of where you will be snowshoeing, which is admittedly a bit tough when you haven't been snowshoeing!

Comment

Originally posted by hwc1954 View Post
                          I think that depends on the terrain and snow conditions. I got the optional flotation tails for my MSR snowshoes and have never used them. In fact, for the terrain I hike in NH -- icy, steep, mostly packed or broken out trails -- I probably could have gone with the 22 inch model instead of the 25 inch model. Around here, snowshoes are as much for traction (like big crampons) as for flotation. Bigger is actually more cumbersome. That would be completely different in a climate with deep powder.

I think it all starts with an assessment of where you will be snowshoeing, which is admittedly a bit tough when you haven't been snowshoeing!
                          I can see your point. In the northeast, you have a lot of ice and hard crust surface snow, so small snowshoes could work to keep you from busting through that hard pack. I think for most conditions west of Lake Michigan, snow is either more fluffy or corn snow or mashed potatoes. For these kinds of conditions, it is best to have a larger snowshoe to keep you floating.

Comment

The local conditions of your area should always dictate the type of equipment you use. In the Northeast, it is more crusty and icy. Also, I tend to snowshoe on hiking trails where someone has almost always beaten me to the trail and has created a path through the snow.

Float is almost never an issue where I snowshoe. I do have my larger snowshoes when there is freshly-fallen, deep, virgin snow. I can count on one hand the number of times that opportunity presents itself each winter.

The small snowshoes are more like a Porsche 911 than a Cadillac. Where I snowshoe in the Northeast, those are used more frequently than my larger ones but I am thankful to have both.
                            Moss Big Dipper
                            Alaskan Guide 8
                            Alaskan Guide 6
                            NorthFace Tadpole 23
                            ALPS Exteme 3
                            Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

Here's a good sample of the trails I hike in the winter. This one is Lonesome Lake trail in the White Mountains and a perfect example of trail conditions that could be done either with Microspikes or snowshoes:

Comment

Working...
                              X