Mountains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mountains

Anyone ever had the experience of hiking up a mountain? I have done it once and I can honestly say it was one of the better moments of my life. The feeling of accomplishment you get is like no other. And being at the top the view is just breathtaking. I climbed Mount Balde in northern New Mexico. You could see for dozens of miles if not over one hundred off into the desert. I really hope to make it back there at least once in my life. Here's a pic from the top (from the internet, don't have my pics on my computer at the moment)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	255028_10100569781555016_2510927_61839678_6167776_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	72745

I would encourage anyone to make an attempt at doing a mountain hike sometime in their life. Doesn't even have to be that tall of a mountain, that way there is no real "climbing" involved. Just trails all the way up. Such an amazing thing!

Re: Mountains

brings back memories of being above treeline in colorado,
    agree few hikes can compare,
    I hiked in the sangre di cristo mtn range,

Comment

One of the things I like about this forum is that it not only gives me new ideas but keeps me fired up on things I want to try....like backpacking and hiking.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

That knife edge mountain top trail will look a lot different with snow and howling rain screeching over it. Of course, that is all part of the challenge - Challenge of preparedness, Challenge of body, Challenge of mind, Challenge of spirit.

Comment

Hiked Half Dome, it took about a half a day to hike up, but Oh my goodness, once I got to the top... you honestly feel like you are on the top of the world. All of your troubles feel like the they are no longer insurmountable at the presise moment, looking out over the world. Anytime the weather is not raining in Washington, hiking Mt Baker is always a fun time!
          Visit www.gearspoke.com for all of your rental needs!

Comment

Mt. Marcy on the AT in New York and our local Sierras are probably the highest of the peaks I've made it to. Hiking up to the higher accessible peaks is the reward of backpacking. Each trip is different, with its own little challenges, and the memories last a lifetime. Too bad my own family don't love it like some of us, but at least they're game for car camping!
            Last edited by tplife; 09-25-2014, 09:36 PM.
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I'm not sure if it qualifies as a mountain, but I went hiking in the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, one of the most breathtaking places I've ever been. The air quality and elevation made it quite the experience!
              Visit www.gearspoke.com for all of your rental needs!

Comment

My hiking here in NH is almost all done in the mountains. It's an incredibly challenging workout for an ol' geezer like me, but just awesome to enjoy the effort and the scenery. I try to go once every week or two year round, although April/May is a bit of off-season as the last bits of melting snow leave the trails icy, muddy, treacherous, and not much fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearspoke View Post
                  I'm not sure if it qualifies as a mountain, but I went hiking in the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, one of the most breathtaking places I've ever been. The air quality and elevation made it quite the experience!
                  I agree! Very beautiful area.

Comment

Working...
                  X