Holy Tarp-O-Rama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Tarp-O-Rama

Everything seems to be getting bigger and bigger lately. Bigger tents, bigger RVs, bigger trailers, everything bigger, Bigger, BIGGER.

Lately, I have been seeing tarps getting so big, I suppose we should start calling them McTarps - supersized. Last weekend I saw MANY tarps that covered the entire campsite.

It even covered the screen tent, all the other tents, the picnic table, and most of the vehicle. I am even seeing people with tarps that cover the campsite and their RVs.

What is up with that?

One thing I HAVE to know is "How do they get their ropes that high up in the trees to set up those tarps? Some of the ropes must be up at least 10 feet or more.

Re: Holy Tarp-O-Rama

That is total overkill to me. Maybe they use a chain saw to lower the trees?
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I have a 30 x 40 tarp that I took out on a trip exactly one time, just to see how it would work. It was for a large group trip that was planned well before we saw the forecast that was calling for high temps and blazing sun, so I figured we could use a lot of shade. Getting the ropes high enough in the trees wasn't a problem for me. I figured out a way to use an adjustable tarp pole to walk a loop to heights of 12+ feet up a tree - one of the reasons I kind of chuckled at that Flibbertywhatchamacallit tool. The real problem was figuring out how to set it to avoid catching water in the event of a summer thunderstorm. A tarp that big would collect enough water to cause some damage to anything under it if it collapsed.

Anyway... The best way I can think to describe how I do it goes like this (for a right handed person):

Make a lasso wrap around a tree as high as you can by yourself. Don't pull it tight. Holding the "tail" with just enough tension to keep the lasso from falling in your left hand, with your right hand insert a pole inside the lasso at an angle to the tree (pointing left) and move it to the right, pushing the loop up a bit. Work it around to the back. Pull the pole out, and work the left side of the loop up in similar fashion.

That probably sounds complicated and I should probably make a video of it, but it's one of those things I just never seem to get around to. With a bit of practice, it got to where I could jump the rope up a good foot at a time. It's all in balancing the tension on the tag end and how much slack in the loop you can move upwards at once. Unfortunately, for the other end - on the other tree - I can't figure the words to describe how I get the rope up while keeping it under tension AND have it spiral down to the ground to stake it out.
      I guess I'll make that video one of these years...
      Last edited by MacGyver; 08-07-2014, 11:50 PM.

Comment

If they'd get waterproof tents, they wouldn't need tarps the size of Texas!

Comment

I have three blue tarps that are 20'X40'. I used two of them once at a motorcycle meet to cover the wrenching area. Worked well. Never camped under them though - too danged big and heavy to carry for camping.
          I did share a buddy's smaller Kelty nylon tarp shelter once - it covered the front half of my 3-man dome tent and his tear drop trailer. Gave us a nice little sheltered area when it rained.
          But putting up a half acre of tarp is ridiculous.
          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

A large tarp definitely has it's place. When you have a large group of people intent on camping despite the weather, having the ability to keep everyone together and under cover is great! I used to get laughed at when I put up an 18 x 24 over a small dome. Until a thunderstorm went on for what seemed like forever and 8 of us were able to sit, drink, play music, drink some more and stay dry.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Top (2).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	69908

My 30 x 40 also saved a family reunion that never should have been scheduled for July. The sun was starting to affect a lot of people, especially some of the older folks. I got a nice high ridge line rope strung from the chimney to my shed and got the tarp up in record time. Had to be at least 40 people under it. Had it rained last year when we had 20 some people at one site, I'd have been sorry I didn't have the huge tarp with me.

Comment

Our biggest tarp is 20'x24', and I thought it was a little silly when I bought it, I have LOVED having a tarp big enough to cover our whole tent with a nice front porch area when we camp in the pouring rain or under a bunch of sappy pines. Or if the weather is fair, having a huge shade area over the hanging out/cooking/eating/fire ring area is perfect. We also bring along a couple smaller tarps just in case and have used them to create porches off leantos, covered walkways between neighbors... the options are endless with tarps!
              Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Last trip someone in the group had such a large tarp
                Estimating 40'x40'?
                Rained hard the first night
                His tarp connected from 2 vehicles over 2 tents and plenty of dry eating sitting area
                It was great to have

Comment

I camp with a group of 10-14 late fall. It almost always tends to be cold and rainy (40-50 degrees for highs and 25-40 for lows). We always rig up a decent sized tarp to cook under and another tarp big enough for all of us to hang out and enjoy our favorite beverage of choice. We will also rig up tarps to create a couple walls protecting us from the wind. In some instances we will fire up a sunflower propane heater and we are good to go for a few days. I don't mind cool to cold temps as I have the gear but I do enjoy getting out of the wind and staying dry.

We will almost always tie up a ridge line and them tie out the four corners. The rain drains with no issues.

Comment

I've been in a never ending quest to downsize my gear, especially now that my truck has enough issues that I'll probably be taking my car out on my next trip. I just bought a lightweight tarp from Oware. Haven't set it up yet, but I like the way it looks and feels. A nice earth tone color, reinforced tieouts and it packs up pretty small for it's size. Now... if I could only get some time off to actually go camping...

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                      I've been in a never ending quest to downsize my gear, especially now that my truck has enough issues that I'll probably be taking my car out on my next trip. I just bought a lightweight tarp from Oware. Haven't set it up yet, but I like the way it looks and feels. A nice earth tone color, reinforced tieouts and it packs up pretty small for it's size. Now... if I could only get some time off to actually go camping...
                      I have never heard of that brand, but the specs are impressive. Multiple tieouts. Almost a square and a good size. I use a kelty noah 12x12, but that tarp looks fantastic (I like the color also). When you get it setup and use it, please report back your thoughts on it. Thanks for sharing...another nice tarp option it appears.
                      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                        Everything seems to be getting bigger and bigger lately. Bigger tents, bigger RVs, bigger trailers, everything bigger, Bigger, BIGGER.

Lately, I have been seeing tarps getting so big, I suppose we should start calling them McTarps - supersized. Last weekend I saw MANY tarps that covered the entire campsite.

It even covered the screen tent, all the other tents, the picnic table, and most of the vehicle. I am even seeing people with tarps that cover the campsite and their RVs.

What is up with that?

One thing I HAVE to know is "How do they get their ropes that high up in the trees to set up those tarps? Some of the ropes must be up at least 10 feet or more.

Maybee it's easier for some to put up large tarps then seam seal? Maybe they're practicing their "knot" lore..
                        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                          Maybee it's easier for some to put up large tarps then seam seal? Maybe they're practicing their "knot" lore..
                          For me, a tarp isn't just to protect a tent from rain. They keep me from being stuck in a tent when it rains - especially when I'm in a one or two person tent. They're also good for shade, which in the long run, prolongs the life of the tent. Tarps also keep tree sap and gifts from birds off the tent.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                            For me, a tarp isn't just to protect a tent from rain. They keep me from being stuck in a tent when it rains - especially when I'm in a one or two person tent. They're also good for shade, which in the long run, prolongs the life of the tent. Tarps also keep tree sap and gifts from birds off the tent.
                            All of this. And always a dry tent the morning of take down too!
                            2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                            Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                            Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                            Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

We just got home from an annual family reunion where the kids and I camp for the weekend with other cousins. For the first time, I had taken an extra tarp, just in case. I'm so glad I did because it rained so much while we were there! Unfortunately, I don't have tarp poles, so I had to rig something but thankfully, I had bungee cords and quick-clamps from my husband's shop. I normally bring one of those easy-ups that's 10x10 (and since I load everything in a jeep, I'd really like to find a way to replace that with something smaller and more lightweight), so I clipped one end of the tarp to that and used bungees to hook the other end to the jeep's back door handles. It wasn't beautiful, but it gave me about twice as much dry area to sit and talk, or as cover whenever we left the campsite. Here's a pic from one of the few sunny times:
                              Last edited by SBinTN; 08-11-2014, 05:21 AM. Reason: added pic

Comment

Working...
                              X