camping alone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: camping alone

Most of my camping trips are just me and the dog. I enjoy the down time and usually bring along a couple of books and just relax.

Comment

You'll be so proud of yourself once you go alone. There's really no creature/animal you have to worry about unless you intend on going alone in grizzly territory. There are precautions you can take even if you do.

Just make a fire, smile and listen to the sounds of the night and don't let you imagination run wild. Animals are abound which means there are noises you will not be familiar with. Night time is also when many animals hunt other animals so may even hear screams. It's nature doing what nature does and has done for thousands of years.

You may think about going to websites and listen to the screams that coyote, bobcat, martin, skunk, and fox make. That way if you do hear something a blood-curdling scream you'll snicker and say, "Yeah, that's just a little bobcat making all that racket!"

There isn't a creature out there that won't bolt when it sees a human. Just relax and enjoy.
      Last edited by wiiawiwb; 09-06-2014, 07:02 AM.
      Moss Big Dipper
      Alaskan Guide 8
      Alaskan Guide 6
      NorthFace Tadpole 23
      ALPS Exteme 3
      Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

I go camping by myself, but in smaller park type campgrounds. I am a pretty solitary individual anyway, so being by myself is fine.
        - Laura
        Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

The first night I am out, I don't sleep very well. I have come to realize that it is just because I need one night to adjust to the different sounds. I am the same way with hotels, etc. But, after that first night, I sleep just fine.

As to the mental aspect, I think a lot of people have a hard time alone. Some people just need others around them to energize themselves, but others find being alone uncomfortable. It does get easier the more you do it. And at some point, you may actually realize that you prefer your own company.
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I've camped alone far more than camped with anyone else. Both have their ups and downs. I doesn't bother me much camping alone in grizzly country, even sleeping out on the ground under the stars up near timberline. The dog(s) helps in that regard.

I enjoy camping with others with the right people. The wrong people can leave you feeling like the whole thing was a mistake and you'd have been much better off alone.

Comment

Just be prepared! I really like being in the wilderness on my own, I find it to be very relaxing. However, just be careful to not to get lost or put into a position where you'd need someones help. It sounds obvious, but I've been in a couple situations that I could have avoided if I just would have put some extra thought into the scenario.

Good luck and happy camping!
              Visit www.gearspoke.com for all of your rental needs!

Comment

Frankly, these days I prefer to camp alone. When I camp with others, somehow I am expected to do all the planning and provide gear that other people need. That is too much work and no fun.

I suppose I miss some of the conversation and companionship of camping with others, but at what cost? To be a camp guide for the inexperienced and be an unpaid outfitter of equipment? No thank you.

Comment

I went camping by myself a couple of weeks ago. It was the first time solo camping in almost 10 years. The last few times I went was with a large group of friends.

I learned a few things that you might find helpful. Because I could only go mid-week, a week after Labor Day, the setting was quite different in the NH state campground where I stayed. The campground now was pretty much vacant with the exception of 1 or 2 other campers. One camper I saw seemed pretty sketchy to me.

On the second day I said to myself, "Man, I am alone out here". Then at night that night I had a visitor. It was dark, under a full moon, and while I was reading a magazine in my hammock there was something heading my direction coming from the other guy's campsite. Very slow moving and very precise in its movements. The leaves crunched as it got closer and closer.

Man, I froze. The noise stopped and it was clear that there was something within arms reach next to my head. Then I heard, "Sniff, sniff, sniff" right next to my ear. Well, after hissing and clapping my hands I learned that it was creature and it took off. In just a few seconds, however, it returned. I pulled down my hammock so I could see and I saw this racoon run by towards my picnic table. Then I heard him rummaging through all my stuff there.

Boy, what a scare. I forgot all about the raccoons. But what freaked me out the most and that I thought it could have been a person. There was little security at the campground and you enter it a few different ways.

So, my advise would be to go to a place where you know there will be other people around. This will help put your mind at ease.

Also, think of carrying a very bright flashlight (400 + lumens) with a strobe feature. This can give you peace of mind knowing that you can stop someone in his/her tracks at night.

All in all, it was a great trip. The solitude was great. A lake was nearby and the sunset was beautiful. These things were very restorative for me. I'll go back, but will probably do a weekend first.

Comment

Go for it. Change is must, after camping you will feel fresh, more energetic and rejuvenated. Take emergency kit with you. Camping alone would be a different, amazing and exotic experience.

Comment

Either hang your food or stow it safely in your vehicle to keep the pesky critters from bothering you at night.
                      Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X