Camp Kitchen for the disorganized idiot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camp Kitchen for the disorganized idiot

The best I have found so far is by REI - http://www.rei.com/product/848478/re...tchen#specsTab
    I have a terrible time setting up any kind of camp kitchen outside. Can't do the glamorous. Ford Taurus 4 dr. No help from Children. Usually I cook and organize for about 16 family members. We need the picnic table to eat off of. I MELTED a plastic table this time. The frame is going to SIL to make a table for his workshop.
    If this subject has been pursued, please direct me to that thread - I looked and did not find. And do you have a method to your kitchen madness???? n

Re: Camp Kitchen for the disorganized idiot

I'm not real thrilled to have to slam REI, but when they mess up, they gotta be called on it. The reviews I saw for that item would immediately scare me off if I was in the market for one. It has particle board. Particle board and moisture don't get along at all. A couple of dewy mornings or a nice rain shower and you'd eventually be looking at a swelled countertop. Have you seen the Coleman Pack Away Camp Kitchen? As far as I can tell, it looks sturdier than REI's version and doesn't have parts that will be affected by weather.

Comment

I agree with Mac. Stay away from anything with particle board. It flat out won't last. Unfortunately the one Mac linked to has a fiberboard top which is just as bad. I think most of these are going to have the same problem. Might be worth it to replace the top with something more durable.....or maybe you can put enough varnish on to make their top work.

I posted this in another thread and although it isn't something I would need (I have a full on chuckbox) I still think it is a great idea. It wouldn't solve all your problems but would probably help with some of them.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
        I'm not real thrilled to have to slam REI, but when they mess up, they gotta be called on it. The reviews I saw for that item would immediately scare me off if I was in the market for one. It has particle board. Particle board and moisture don't get along at all. A couple of dewy mornings or a nice rain shower and you'd eventually be looking at a swelled countertop. Have you seen the Coleman Pack Away Camp Kitchen? As far as I can tell, it looks sturdier than REI's version and doesn't have parts that will be affected by weather.
        Gotta read carefully. Aluminum FRAME. The countertop isn't part of the frame. They are very sneaky.
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
        X