Anyone ever tried a yurt or tipi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever tried a yurt or tipi?

In my ever widening search of camping opportunities in the Northern New England area, I'm finding that there are yurts and tipis available at some sites. Just wondering if anyone has ever camped in one of these units? I have been eyeballing the yurts at Milan Hill State Park in NH, here's an outside pic:

and inside:

I know, this is closer to "glamping" than camping, but man it would be nice to not have all that setup when camping JUST ONCE! LOL!

I tend to find the tipis at private parks, not at the state parks, but I always thought the girls might get a kick out of camping in a tipi. Although I'm not a big fan of the private campgrounds, I might bite the bullet once to let the girls try a tipi.

Here's a link to the Milan Hill page if anyone wants to see more pics of the yurts:
    http://www.nhstateparks.org/explore/...tate-park.aspx
    Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Re: Anyone ever tried a yurt or tipi?

shortpants: stayed in a yurt at Abilene State Park in Texas for 2 nights. Was nice...this one had just about all the amenities one could possibly want
    except for a bathroom...that required a short trek to the bath/shower building...It was convenient to not have to set up the tent...
    still did our cooking outdoors on the grill and camping stove...it also gave us good protection from the weather and had A/C and a fridge and microwave to boot...used the fridge and floor fan...didn't need the a/c...we had to provide our own linens and cooking utensils.
    couldn't really call it camping in my opinion, though. I prefer a canvas tent with just the basics...but it was a good way to start back into the camping
    experience...

Comment

We stayed in a Yurt in Oregon and it was worth the money. Our yurt had heating and electricity. We stayed in it for nearly a week. It was a big hit for my 2 boys and my wife. We had to do all of our cooking outside.
      Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
      sigpic

Comment

At our annual motorcycle camp&meet in the late winter, one year a rider used a light-weight silnylon tipi. It looked interesting, but did have some notable limitations. Being the single center pole type, he had to sleep on one side. His titanium wood stove was on the other side. He had to get up often in the night to stoke the little stove for heat - this was in January in north Florida, temps that night got into the low twenties with a gusting howling wind. He had to use guy lines, as the wind hit the tipi sides and really had it dancing about! Checking next morning, a couple guy lines had come loose from their stakes. He figured he'd need to double the guy lines for high winds.
        He said it was an interesting way to sleep, but the next year he had a dome tent.
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I've known folks who have done them and enjoyed them. I haven't as I have my little RV. I say give it a try and see if you like it. It may be one of those things you do once or twice a season in between your usual camping trips just to shake things up a bit.
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Than you everyone for sharing your experiences, I'm interested in trying one of those yurts sometime. The ones from the pics I posted at Milan SP don't have electric or anything, so still pretty similar to our current camping... minus the tent and setup/takedown for that, plus beds instead of air mattresses, minus the monster tarp over the tent in case of rain... yeah, not *really* camping, more like a hotel room with no electricity or water, but still out in the woods!
            Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Comment

E75, cool the way that one can be raised with the straighter sides! Gives more room to sleep or stow gear on the side. What's the company and price?
                Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
                  E75, cool the way that one can be raised with the straighter sides! Gives more room to sleep or stow gear on the side. What's the company and price?

This is one that i designed and built... i will give you more info. if it is ok with the site mods.
                  i don't want to get accused of spamming

Thanks, brian

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
                    Agreed! I had been looking at some of the new tipi style tents that are available now, but hadn't seen that one, I really like the ability to have the straight sides!

Comment

Working...
                    X