When to replace sleeping bag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to replace sleeping bag?

I have a Slumberjack sleeping bag, synthetic fill, purchased in the mid-90's. It saw moderate use in the first couple of years, but then was packed away and forgotten in a stuff sack. We're outfitting a new pop-up camper and would like to use this for our son. But, after so much time crammed in that sack, is it better to just replace it with a new one? If so, what brands are good for young kids?

Re: When to replace sleeping bag?

Synthetic bags like Slumberjacks can take a lot of abuse and still be useable.

Wash and dry the bag and hang it on the clothesline to freshen it up

Like any bag, it either will be warm enough or it won't. Use it and see. If not warm enough, you can either supplement with blankets or upgrade to a bigger (new?) bag

Comment

I agree with Mike. What I would do is just take along an extra blanket or two. That way if he is cold you can just add a blanket and buy a new bag later. But I would doubt if that would be need.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

Yes, it's all about the warmth. I used a synthetic bag for years, then switched to a down bag. No comparison and I will never go back. The down is so much warmer and more comfortable. The extra blanket idea is fine if you have plenty of room.

But if you need the room, a down bag would be best.

dave

Comment

Originally posted by stewardc View Post
          Yes, it's all about the warmth. I used a synthetic bag for years, then switched to a down bag. No comparison and I will never go back. The down is so much warmer and more comfortable. The extra blanket idea is fine if you have plenty of room.

But if you need the room, a down bag would be best.

dave
          I agree about the superiority of down fill as long as you keep it dry. They are excellent in cold dry winters. However, I use synthetic fill for , summer time. If down even becomes damp, it turns into what feels like wet paper pulp, balls up, and sucks the heat from you.

Once wet, down can take days to line dry. So if you are in the field and your down bag gets wet, you are really screwed

Down is not the fill of choice for wet weather camping

Comment

Working...
          X