Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Freeze stuff with Ice and other neat tricks

Freezing with Plain Ice:
    If you need to cool stuff down or even freeze it and all you have is ice, bury the stuff you want to super chill or freeze deep into the ice in a cooler. Pour salt over the ice. Close the cooler lid and move the cooler around. Same principal as making ice-cream the old fashioned way. The ice is forced to melt and it draws thermals from everything around it.

Gas and Rags Cooler:
    Another way to cool beer or soda is to put your cans or bottles of drink into a gunny sack, drench it in gasoline, and swing it around to evaporate the gas. I learned this trick from an old WWII marine who fought on the Pacific Islands like Guadalcanal and Saipan. God bless those clever boys. I suppose this trick didn't seem dangerous compared to storming the beaches with entrenched Japanese shooting at you.

Metalized Blankets
    Metalize blankets are something of a miracle if use correctly. Try to buy the kind with one side shiny and the other side dark. Wrap yourself with the dark side out and sit/stand in the sun and you will feel great warmth. Use as a tarp with the shiny side up and you will notice the shade is cooler than that from other tarps.

Re: How to Freeze stuff with Ice and other neat tricks

I read about the salt trick in the past yet it's still fascinating.
    The gas trick is a new one for me; does your beer swoosh out the can when you pop it open though?:D
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Gas or any highly-volatile solvent does the trick, it's evaporative cooling but the more volatile the solvent, the faster the "heat exchange" occurs...but you already knew that!
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        Metalized Blankets
        Metalize blankets are something of a miracle if use correctly. Try to buy the kind with one side shiny and the other side dark. Wrap yourself with the dark side out and sit/stand in the sun and you will feel great warmth. Use as a tarp with the shiny side up and you will notice the shade is cooler than that from other tarps.
        I highly recommend these blankets. When I'm fishing late in the summer and the sun gets too hot and the fish stop biting, I like to anchor my canoe in a cove, crawl under a tarp and take a nap. I found that the "standard" blue tarps are too dark and keep things hot. I tried a white tarp, but it didn't block enough sunlight. But, when I threw one of the Grabbers over the top, I was amazed at how cool and dark it was underneath. I remember the first time I used it and crawled out from under it, the heat that hit me from the noonday sun was like opening an oven door. Great item - one of my gotta haves.

Comment

Thank you for the gas tip .I have never heard of that before . I am going to have to try it out..

Comment

Working...
          X