Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a little help planning a tiny trip! (Texas)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a little help planning a tiny trip! (Texas)

So I moved to Texas about a month ago, and I wanna take this girl out for an overnight stay under the stars somewhere. We're located in Waxahachie and wanna keep the drive to 2 hours or under. I've got probably the best 5 places narrowed down within that distance, and wondering if anyone here has some opinions on them? My goal is to go around June 25th(New Moon), Leave during the morning or day, and stay one night, and if possible, without a tent, I have this light futon mattress that isn't being used that I'd love to lug out onto a field and sleep on that under the stars(I'd bring bug repellent stuff of course). That being said, the 5 places I've come down to are:
    Dinosaur Valley State Park
    Cooper Valley State Park
    Lake Tawakoni State Park
    Purtis Creek State Park
    Tyler State Park

Any help or input is greatly appreciated (: I'm looking for the best stargazing results, also the easiest place to do what I want pretty much(Lug that mattress out into a field, I realize a State Park may not be best for something like that, but I'm new to Texas and don't know any spots that would be)

Re: Need a little help planning a tiny trip! (Texas)

I am not familiar with those parks, but think you could call a local contact to find a little more information. If the parks aren't too far off you could spend a day traveling to each park to get a feel for the location. And check in with a few of the campers, camp hosts, etc to see what they think. People are usually pretty great about giving local information out.

dave

Comment

Re: Need a little help planning a tiny trip! (Texas)

Inks Lake near Austin is a great camping place - they have a some primitive sites where you are pretty much isolated. We are going there this next weekend.

For the coming weekend, find a place high and dry to view the Perseid Meteor shower - comes every year during the second week of August. Usually many many meteors per minute. Some big ones - AWESOME when it is a good year.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
      X