Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Arizona Trail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsuOJtyNQOU

There is a (relitively) new trail here in Arizona called, strangely enough, the Arizona Trail. It runs north to south the length of the state.

I want to hike it. Not all at once like this guy did in the video but maybe in shorter chunks. Get dropped off in one spot and picked up in another. Should be quite the adventure considering I have never been backpacking in my life.

Comments/advice from the peanut gallery is welcome but I don't want to hear one word from the mods unless it is about smileys.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Re: The Arizona Trail

Wonder what the water availability is? I did the Grand Canyon last year, quite the trip. Go for it.

Comment

The guy talks about it in the video sort of. Obviously he fills up in each town he passes through but I think mostly he is using a filter to fill up at any standing water he can find....including some water he found in gallon jugs tied to a tree. He said they made him sick so I don't think he filtered that water which would be dumb.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

If you did the trip in weekend "chunks" - the concern of water wouldn't be as big of deal. I've done a lot of 2.5 day/2 night backpack trips around AZ and typically carry the water I need. Of course, that's a lot of extra weight that I had to factor into what the rest of my pack contained. On the legs that you know water is reliable - you can lighten your load and in the areas where springs are sketchy...just carry the water and leave other things at home. I would enjoy reading about your experiences - as my son and I plan to hike our "AT" as weekend trips over time as well.
        Nights camping in 2014: 18
        Nights camping in 2015: 24
        Nights camping in 2016: 20

North Face Tadpole 23 - Mountain Hardwear Casa 6 - Guide Gear 18x18 Teepee

Comment

Originally posted by ArizonaSportsman View Post
          If you did the trip in weekend "chunks" - the concern of water wouldn't be as big of deal. I've done a lot of 2.5 day/2 night backpack trips around AZ and typically carry the water I need. Of course, that's a lot of extra weight that I had to factor into what the rest of my pack contained. On the legs that you know water is reliable - you can lighten your load and in the areas where springs are sketchy...just carry the water and leave other things at home. I would enjoy reading about your experiences - as my son and I plan to hike our "AT" as weekend trips over time as well.
          My brother had actually told me about the trail last year and expressed interest in hiking it. I didn't really know what he was talking about at the time but am really getting excited about it now. I have set my goal to start early next year. Feb or March at the latest. I happened to mention it to one of my neighbors and she got all sorts of excited about it. She works part time at REI and said that I should go in and get fitted for a backpack. I told her that my brother said he has one that I can borrow but as I am quite a bit taller than he is so I will probably end up going down there.
          – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
          X