allergic to tents???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• allergic to tents???

OK so my wife and I have tried tent camping several times over the years. We both enjoy it until it comes time to sleep. For some reason EVERY TIME she sleeps in the tent for just a couple hours she wakes up nauseous and ends up spending the rest of her night in the truck. Has anyone ever heard of something like this. I'm dying to do some back country hiking/camping with her but desperately need a way to remedy this problem. Thanks. I look forward to hearing your responses.

Re: allergic to tents???

why dont you both just really check the material and everything with a professional and find out the real reason behind such allergy? i personally never heard of such thing but heck,there are so many allergies out there so its better to rely on medical advice.good luck!

Comment

I have a friend that always gets to camp late in the afternoon/evening. Gets sick everytime. Think it is altitude sickness. Not sure it has anything to do with a tent. Just I thought I would throw it out there.
      Jack
      Thrift store tent
      Marmot Tungsten 4p

Comment

Following in light of action's suggestion.........have you ever tried camping in your backyard and is her reaction the same? If so the problem might be the fumes that the tent's fabric gives off after month's of storage. Perhaps airing it out for a weekend before camping will help or getting a tent with a different textile composition.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

There could be many, many possible causes. Some thoughts that come to mind, is the tent stored near any chemicals? Is it stored where it won't get moldy, and musty? If it's the same tent every time, try a different one. Are you making sure you aren't sleeping with your heads down hill on any slight inclines? Is there enough fresh air circulating through the tent while you are sleeping? Is she claustrophobic? What about the fuel source for cooking/heating/lighting? Bug sprays? And the list goes on and on.

I'd suggest doing as NYCgrrl stated, and try camping in the back yard. Keep trying different changes, till you figure out what the cause is.

David

Comment

For elevation sickness, we carry tums/rolaids. I like the backyard to see how she does. If there is an REI near your, or other camping gear rental place, rent a different tent made of different materials.
            Nights camped in 2019: 24
            Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I agree with NYCgirl. First step would be to set the tent up in the back yard and sleep in there without anything you have taken camping. If you have been using a cot, don't use the cot in the yard....same with sleeping bags and heaters and lights, etc. Just try to eliminate everything but the tent. Ideally it would be her in the tent with a blanket (not your sleeping bag or whatever you use camping) If it doesn't happen add some stuff and try again until you find what is making her sick. If you get up to full gear it may be what action said and is the altitude.

Good luck
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

Was this ever resolved?
                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                X