Reserving campsite for 1 night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reserving campsite for 1 night

The reservation fee that reserveamerica charges for booking varies upon the contract it has with the state. In California, it's $9, Illinois-$5. Here is Indiana it is $3. We have the minimum stay requirements also, but if a site is still unbooked 3 days out you can call and book a one night stay (the fee still is assessed). Likewise, unreserved sites go into "walkup" status the day before and cannot be reserved via the site and are first come/first served at the campgate. I've never done "walkup" as I generally know when/where I want to camp ahead of time and reserve a site.

During the summer months here, the minimum doesn't have much effect as Fri/Sat nights are usually booked solid. During the week and when the kids are in school, the number of sites at "unreserved" status soars. You can easily get prime campsites for a single night by waiting and calling or doing "walkup".

On a positive note since Indiana signed up with them is that the parks have added photos (couple views) of every campsite in the system. It is nice to be able to take a look ahead of time at a potential campsite as to the size/layout/trees/contours/sun/shade/privacy/distance to facilities (we prefer being far away as possible). The photos help when planning to camp at a new campground and is sometimes better than calling and just asking for a good "tent" site. Heck, I can always call if I have questions about a site, even after looking online.

It's worth the $3 fee Indiana zaps on me for using the system....but $9 would sting.
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

a65hoosier, what's an average charge for camping nightly in your state parks? $30.00 is about average at this end for NYS, CT, RI and MA.
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

In Wisconsin it is $9.00 reservation fee PLUS the campsite fees. So if you want to make reservations for a two day weekend, the reservation fee is about 40% of the total campsite fees

Reserve America is a ripoff. States should be ashamed of using them.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
          a65hoosier, what's an average charge for camping nightly in your state parks? $30.00 is about average at this end for NYS, CT, RI and MA.
          This is from late April to early November. The price drops late November to early April, but the number of campgrounds offering full services also drop (ie, no heated showers/restrooms) and some loops are closed off at certain campgrounds. Depends on the park. We like going during the non-peak time if the weather cooperates because of the privacy. It helps that our kids are on a "balanced calendar" at school, which gives us 2 week long fall and spring breaks so we take advantage of that time for vacations. Not many tenters around like us during non-peak times though.

Sun/Thurs:
          Primitive=$10
          Non-Electric=$12
          Electric=$19
          Full Hook=$26

Fri/Sat
          Primitive=$10
          Non-electric=$15
          Electric=$26
          Full Hook=$36

Holiday Weekends = $10, $18, $29, $40.

We generally try to visit on Sun/Thur during vacation time. Occasionally, Fri/Sat. Never on a Holiday Weekend. lol

Brian
          2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

A $9 processing fee is absurd. Especially considering that it is most likely an automated process.
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

Of course I have a problem paying anything to sleep outdoors. (I'm cheep) That's why I usually do dispersed camping. All I need s a clearing.
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
              X