HUGE CAMPING TIP LIST part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HUGE CAMPING TIP LIST part 1

112) Recycle your torn dining tarps as ground cloths or make stuff sacks out of them.
    Any torn tarp or strong plastic such as a shower curtain or outdoor table cloth also makes a good weather cover for your firewood.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
      I bet you didn't use your flibidgibit did you. That was most likely your problem.
      I don't need a Flibitygiget. If I don't get too drunk, next trip out I'm going to try making a video of how to get a rope 10 feet up in a tree with a straight pole.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
        I don't need a Flibitygiget. If I don't get too drunk, next trip out I'm going to try making a video of how to get a rope 10 feet up in a tree with a straight pole.
        Ha ha. I admire any inventor/entrepreneur, the Flibitygiget promo vid had to be one of the worst vids ever. 20 minutes of watching a guy walk across his backyard to set up a tarp

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
          On a more serious note you have inspired me. Last time out camping I took one of my ezup canopies which I didn't end up using. But I was thinking about what a tremendous waste of space and weight it was to get it out there and that a tarp would not only work for what I wanted it for but would probably work BETTER. So, next time out I will be taking some extra rope, steaks and a large tarp to experiment with.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

Where else but here would you get recommendations for 35 mm film canisters? :cool:
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

As a scout you should appreciate the effort someone put here in, as stated 1992 and as a chemist you should be able to find some substitute especially out west

Comment

Originally posted by michelliot View Post
                As a scout you should appreciate the effort someone put here in, as stated 1992 and as a chemist you should be able to find some substitute especially out west
                sorry, you lost me on that one, Michelliot. Something about you are a substitute chemist from California? maybe need to find better chemicals...?

Anyway, thanks for the list. Looks like it could be a book on camping tips

Comment

I love the Scouts. It is a great place for kids that may otherwise not have access to this kind of learning.
                  “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                  – E. B. White

Comment

Directed towards Tplife's astute comment

Comment

27) Prescription bottles or 35mm file containers make good storage places for small items.
                      Translating into another form o' English: yea well there isn't much traffic in 35 mm film containers any more(amazing how digital made em poof in such a short time!) but of course the repurposing spirit lives on with say Tictac containers or plastic spice bottles.

O and for the record I believe there's lots of chemical abuse going on w/i thread...
                      Last edited by NYCgrrl; 05-20-2014, 07:30 AM.
                      2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Tic tac containers can store 3 triple A batteries
                        Last edited by michelliot; 05-20-2014, 08:09 AM. Reason: Trying to delete

Comment

Tic Tac container can store 3 triple A batteries.

NYCgirl what town, I'm in Whitestone.

Comment

Tic Tac container can store 3 triple A batteries.

NYCgirl what town, I'm in Whitestone.
                            The drive-in and picnicking under the bridge where horse crabs tried to escape the cruel boys who pulled their tails off for fun; glad they're protected now. Those are my memories of Whitestone from the Bronx side.

After the normal tour of natives thru the boros (minus Staten Island and Queens) I find myself stuck in the middle of Manhattan on the UWS.

Where do ya camp nearby? Mostly further out on the island or North? I've never done Hither Hills or Wildwood but a LI friend is trying to convince me to go. Problem is he hasn't made any reservations yet so his wife and I have stopped giggling and plan to camp upstate NY:p.O and I have camped at Fire Island at the Fed's area and truly enjoyed it.
                            2017:

Comment

Hey NYCgrrl,

Predominantly, I've been going to boy scout camps in recent years once a month all year. Baiting Hollow on the Island, Alpine, NJ, Greenwich, Conn, Staten Island, TMR (Ten Mile River) for a week every summer. He's out of scouts now and our own we like the Northern NJ region.
                              A few weeks back we went to a county park in Northeastern Westchester. Ward Pound Ridge Reservation. Quite impressive. Fabulous hiking trails, manicured meadows, wooded areas and a river to gaze upon with trout to fish for. Immaculately kept, almost too perfect. No electricity and no water that early in the season. Huge leatos and tenting areas. 4700 acres and less than an hour from the city. I was impressed considering I wanted to go to Monticello where we've done most of our camping recently. Actually have the fourth of July weekend planned to camp up in Bethel and attend a Crosby Stills and Nash concert at Bethel Woods. Combined a camping and Eagles concert there last year and enjoyed it as well. Kinda brings me back to my ultimate camping weekend I experienced there 45 years ago. Nothing will top that.

Anyways, glad to share, see ya around this forum and maybe someday around a campfire or on the streets of NYC heading to work.

Be well....elliot

Comment

Hey NYCgrrl,

Predominantly, I've been going to boy scout camps in recent years once a month all year. Baiting Hollow on the Island, Alpine, NJ, Greenwich, Conn, Staten Island, TMR (Ten Mile River) for a week every summer. He's out of scouts now and our own we like the Northern NJ region.
                                A few weeks back we went to a county park in Northeastern Westchester. Ward Pound Ridge Reservation. Quite impressive. Fabulous hiking trails, manicured meadows, wooded areas and a river to gaze upon with trout to fish for. Immaculately kept, almost too perfect. No electricity and no water that early in the season. Huge leatos and tenting areas. 4700 acres and less than an hour from the city. I was impressed considering I wanted to go to Monticello where we've done most of our camping recently. Actually have the fourth of July weekend planned to camp up in Bethel and attend a Crosby Stills and Nash concert at Bethel Woods. Combined a camping and Eagles concert there last year and enjoyed it as well. Kinda brings me back to my ultimate camping weekend I experienced there 45 years ago. Nothing will top that.

Anyways, glad to share, see ya around this forum and maybe someday around a campfire or on the streets of NYC heading to work.

Be well....elliot
                                You've been using the Tri-State region's camping resources well!
                                Bethel AND CS&N AND the 4th?!? You're making me green and we have all been here before.

We'll be watching the North Shore of LI's impromptu firework displays in CT. Our Princess and her bike/roller blades or Razor will be wayyyy over the top dressed in glow stick necklaces and glasses. She thinks it's because we believe she looks good in florescent; we know it's cause we can find her no matter where she goes:cool:.

Happy Trails!
                                2017:

Comment

Working...
                                X