New with questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New with questions

Hi, my name is charlie and I am new here. I am here because I would like to know your opinion on a camping question. I will be turning 14 in August, and would like to go camping solo in the Forrest preserve for a night. I called the preserve and they said its fine as long as you leave no trace. I am writing a paper so my parents will let me go and would like some opinions... Thanks!

Re: New with questions

Not sure where you're located and what the preserve offers in dangers besides the self created ones, but as a parent I'd say it's a bit young to go solo. I'd have reservations even if you went with friends your age. I hate to burst your bubble but I don't know your personality or camping experiences in the past. Also is the preserve a few acres or a few hundred acres. Even scouting, especially at that age, would not approve a solo trek. At the least, they always preach the buddy system right through the upper age groups. Too many things can happen.

Maybe others feel differently, but I wouldn't approve at this point. Sorry.......elliot

Comment

not enough information,
      do you have any non solo camping experience?
      camp with parents/friends?
      and why a solo trip and not with family friends?
      think one, no matter what age should work up to such a trip,
      also where is this preserve?

Comment

No

Comment

To d questions at hand i have the following responses: I am in Boy Scouts, and I go camping at least 11 to 12 times a year. I do not have any solo camping experience, but I have gone to at least 50 camp out in the past 4 years. I have all the experience needed to go solo, and love camping. I also have all the equipment minus a stove call although I am looking at one at a good price.

Comment

I started camping with friends but without adults at 12 years old

Solo camping is a different thing, though. The only thing I worry about when I am wilderness camping is people. Wild animal and weather do not worry me as much as some Freddy stumbling into my camp at night. So, I actually feel safer the more removed I am from the beaten path

I would say camping with your friends at 14 is OK as long as you have a lot of camping and hiking experience and if you have a well formalized plan and itinerary with your folks AND if all of you have cell phones that have battery power to last the trip plus at least three or four extra days

I am not so sure solo camping at 14 would be a good idea. It sure wouldn't be as fun as camping with friends.
            Last edited by Mike; 05-24-2014, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Sorry, at 14 I don't think first time camping should be solo camping. Unless the preserve is in your back yard or pretty close to it. But don't feel too bad. I wouldn't recommend ANYONE under 20 solo for their first time camping.
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

Charlie, I think your parents know your capabilities and maturity level better than us. Find out the pros and cons of solo camping prior to speaking with them; read books, ask open ended questions on the internet; be informed. Then speak with your parents.
                GL!!
                2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

There are unusual cases, such as the well-known tracker Tom Brown, who was doing a lot more than going solo in a preserve at age 14. He is by far the exception and not the rule. You can read more about his story to find out why he was so uniquely qualified at that age.

Having said that, I would never allow my son to go solo at 14 unless he had been weaned into it since his was able to walk. He'd need many overnights with me where I showed him the ropes then gradually let him do things on his own. One by one. Eventually, after many years of training in the forest together, he would have proven to me he was qualified to stay over night.

My 14-year old son would have had wilderness-survival training, know map and compass intimately, and be well versed in wilderness navigation before he'd be allowed overnight by himself, other than the backyard.

Staying overnight at age 14 would be earned by, not bestowed upon, someone.
                  Moss Big Dipper
                  Alaskan Guide 8
                  Alaskan Guide 6
                  NorthFace Tadpole 23
                  ALPS Exteme 3
                  Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

I would not recommend camping solo at your age. Sounds like you have a lot of experience with the scouts. You learn a lot in the boy scouts. Really depends on several of the above ideas. Are you in the Rocky mountains or a suburban county forest Preserve with homes surrounding the area. Probably better to back of the barn camp if you can find a farmer that might let you pitch your tent in their back 40. Good luck with scouts, be sure to earn your Eagle Rank. My oldest son is a Eagle and my youngest is your age.

Comment

Working...
                    X