Spring!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring!

What a hard winter we just weathered. I'm not sure that Spring has Sprung, here in NC we're supposed to have some cold rain next week, ice-ey-ish wet ground, but at least the sky-ice is finished, supposedly.
    Kudos to everyone who camped through the winter this year, it was a hard winter. Best wishes and all good fortune to everyone as the spring/ ---> /summer season begins!

Share your thoughts about the fun camping plans you have lined up for this year's warm season... Or creative ways you dealt with this year's cold and sky-ice (???)

Re: Spring!

Spring ? Where? Where??? Oh well, it's fun to plan some camping. Only one very tame trip planned for middle June - in the Shenandoah Valley, the bugs and flies are not so bad till July - Cattle gives us access to billions of flies. The Campground is called Shenandoah Valley Campground - in Verona, VA, is a good sams park and can get too crowded, but the kids, grandkids and great grandkids have a ball there - river and waterfalls, tubing, gameroom, pools, hot tubs, horseshoe tournaments, cart rides behind a tractor, good store, plenty bathrooms and showers, fishing in the river or stocked lake, lots of dirt and gravel roads to bike safely on.... works for us, and I so want the children all to know that camping is doable and a good way to travel. We did a trip to SD and to California all tent camping, no electric - what an experience and we loved it. Alas - two of my children were gone out the nest and did not have the experience when young.

Comment

Re: Spring!

Same here in the northwoods. Our spring season has always been a miserable time to camp. It is the time of cold rains, the ground is saturated and muddy from the melted snow. Skies are often a steel gray with howling winds. There are no leaves or flowers on the trees. The fishing is no good. Rivers too fast for canoeing.

For these reasons, I say that around here, there are three camping seasons: Summer, Autumn, and Winter. Spring is for desperate campers who simply cannot wait to camp, but a good freezing spring rain mixed with wind, gray skies, and slippery trails usually take the thunder out of them and satisfies the urge until late summer when they decide it is safe to venture out again.

Icky.

Comment

Working...
      X