Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammock sleepers?

We got any hammock users on here?

I have a Eno Double Nest hammock and Eno Slap Straps. The hammock is great, I got the slap straps used, I could a decent deal, but I would rather another suspension system. :cool:
    sigpic

Re: Hammock sleepers?

I have an eno double as well. I bought the slap straps, but moved on pretty quickly. I use mule tape for my suspension and ridge line. Mule tape is used to pull wire and cable and I am an electrician, so I come across it pretty easy. I know some guys use amsteel rope for their suspension. You can look for it on amazon or eBay. I use a marlin spike hitch to attach the hammock to the mule tape.
    If you want the best website for hammock camping, try www.hammockforums.net There are guys on there that have forgotten more than I know.
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I've been on that forum, those guys are insane. I'm all about cool gear and technology, but they make my brain hurt with trying to save a fraction of an ounce. I read a post on there that went something like this...

"Well if you tied this knot, instead of that knot, you could easily cut about 4-5" off your length of cordage, saving you that weight".

I get the whole weight saving, a pound at the trailhead is 10 pounds at the top of the mountain, but at what point do we start slimming down zipper heads, shortening shoe laces, drilling holes into sunglasses frames, can we vaccum pack food in helium?

Great source of knowledge but a few members take it that extra mile that is just to far! :cool:
      sigpic

Comment

I hear you. Some guys like to make things hard. I pay attention to the preppers, the bushcrafters, and a few other type groups. If I think I can make something work for me, then I will pay attention. But I am not going to go into the mountains with minimum gear just to say I did it. But they do have some pretty neat gear that I have picked up to use. For example. I took the idea of a bug out bag and modified it for a car emergency bag. I don't believe the system is going to break down, but I could see myself getting stranded in the mountains. I mean the great flood happened between my camping spot and my house.
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Here's where I got my suspension stuff:
          http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/h...uspension.html

Check out Hammock Shug on youtube for lots of reasonable info on suspension.

Comment

I've read a lot on that forum too. They are a unique bunch, for sure. I read the posts about the slap straps being nylon and stretching, so I went with the recommended Atlas straps, both from Eno. Nevermind the fancy knots and amsteel strings, I use the tree straps and clip the hammock to that. Perfect.

I've been a camper for decades, went through various sleeping arrangements, and in the last few years have been in cots. Last spring I slept in an Eno doublenest, and I was hooked. I'm 6'1"", 235lbs, so not really a small person. The hammock was the best night's sleep I've ever had outside. Now my camping trips are mostly in hammocks, but still occasionally in a tent, but only when there's no trees.

I've collected many tarps over the years, so I hang one or more of those over the hammock to protect myself from the weather. I don't try to use the smallest tarp possible. Quite the opposite. I spent a couple nights in the GW National Forest in Virginia this February hanging under a tarp over the snow. I did have my Coleman heater though.

Comment

Working...
            X