Cabins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabins

Ok, this might be slightly off topic but Mike posted in another thread about his crazy love for winter camping where he has to sled into the arctic circle (hehe just kidding you Mike)

And it made me think of a dream my brother and I have been knocking around for a few years to buy some land and build a cabin.

Has anyone here done anything like this?
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Re: Cabins

It is not difficult to build a simple cabin without plumbing - of course, you have the electricity part under control, James.

Building cabins used to be a pretty popular thing to do back in the 1960's and 1970's and there were many books and magazines dedicated to it. There were "end of the world" folks then too who wanted to be self sufficient when TSHF. Of course, a lot of those folks are driving fifth wheels and cashing in on their 401K about now....

Anyway, if you like camping, think twice about having a cabin. Every camper I knew who bought a cabin no longer camps because they spend there weekends doing maintanance and yardwork at their cabin and then the next weekend at their home, then the next weekend working at their cabin...

A tent is a mobile cabin that avails the world to you. This month, I have spent a total of ten days staying trailside at some of the best cross country ski trails deep inside Nicolet National Forest. You cannot get that kind of lodging for love or money unless you do it in a tent. In summer, I will put my tent in my canoe and canoe on isolated lakes and camp on their shores. Sure, some people have lakeside cottages, but the next week, I will go somewhere else. I don't have to mow the cottage lawn or have the septic tank pumped out or chase racoons out of the shed or pay property taxes. I just pack up and go.

Comment

I'm a fan of Dave Canterbury some know him from Discovery Channel, but awhile back he built a very small cabin with a woodstove on his property and shared some Youtube videos. Here's the first one, I always wanted to do something similar.

I've contacted a real estate agent that works in New England and specializes in land rural land for hunting camps and recreation. Before you buy a piece of property make sure you can build what you want on it. My plan was to buy a cheap travel trailer and live out of the that for up to a year while building my cabin. He told me some towns won't allow me to live in a trailer. I found one town that would require me to move my trailer every 60 days and apply for a new permit to reside in it. I found a beautiful 11 acre piece of land that was extremely inexpensive on a "Class VI" road which basically means it's not paved or plowed. This land abutted 1000s of acres of state forest, the catch was I would have to apply for a special permit to build my small cabin, the minimum square footage required by town ordinance was 1700 square feet, which would be about a 20' x 70' structure far exceeding what I want. I don't know if these permits are easy to get but I would not want to be stuck with land I could not use. I would love to own a piece of land that shares a property line with a government owned piece of woodlands. :cool:
      sigpic

Comment

That is close to what we were thinking about. Something no bigger than 20x20 and maybe a log cabin. Little to no maintenance needed outside of a little cleaning while we used it. Basically a permanent tent with a bathroom. Not even a septic tank because neither one of us wants to have to deal with that. We are thinking along the lines of compost or sawdust toilets...or maybe even something like the luggable loo's but more built in.
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

a cabin has always been on my mind,
          actually bought 50 acres years ago for such an idea,
          but we ended up building an actual house and now rent it out full time.
          been looking at a cabin such as this,
          which can have built for $12k-$15k

Comment

If I owned the land, then I personally would disregard the ordinances, etc., and do what I want to do with it. Thats just me, I am like that. Its MY land. That's why I don't live in the city.
            2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

cool video, thanks for posting that! I've always been intrigued by a cabin, as well.

Comment

Working...
              X