Camping related weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping related weekend

Well I got some camping practice in this weekend. Tried using a bag of Doritos for taco salad. Not the greatest idea. The bag idea not the chips. Just more of a hassle than it's worth. Same with using an old ketchup bottle for pancake mix. It is easier to cut a corner off of a zip lock Baggie. Can carry the pancake mix in the Baggie, mix in the Baggie, and cut the corner off to pour the pancake mix.
    One thing that did work. I had some left over Velcro strips. I ended up cutting two pieces about 200" each. Made some sleep pad couplings. You could do the same with para cord or other string. Plus verified that the mats fit into tent.
    Last weekend I tried out the new white gas latern and stove that was given to me. New meaning bought back in 1988 and never used.
    Next I want to redo my totes And change them to some tool boxes. I know I am taking to much gear and plan to down size a little.
    For those who are not camping, are you doing any prep?
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Re: Camping related weekend

I'm pretty sure half the fun of camping is tinkering with the gear. I typically car camp or camp in a location I don't have to hike to far into the wild.

I took the time to make a list of what I actually use, I took all that gear and laid it out on a table and I'm currently working on ways to pack it more efficently. I typically traveled with large totes in the past, but I'm switching over to milk crates and a few sea line type bags. Last season, I realized my cooking gear was not up to snuff, so I'm building on that. Next week I'm going to sell off the tents I don't use any longer on Craigslist or maybe eBay, nothing special, just sporting goods store models. I like to practice some forms of bush craft year round, so I'm constantly reworking that kit, but doing it for camping stuff is a much larger effort. :cool:
    sigpic

Comment

Yeah. I am downsizing as well. I'm the process of a divorce, so I won't need a shower to take most of the time. I will just use baby wipes. Plus her teenage son won't be going with me, so that's more junk I don't have to carry. I think I can get it down to about half of what I took last year.

Comment

Kingquad - welcome to the world of being born again single :sarcasm:

I'm always tweaking my lists of things to take. Despite moving up to a cabin tent, I'm still trying to minimize the amount of stuff I take. I keep lists for different kinds of trips, but on every trip there's still always either some little thing that I wish I'd taken or something I didn't really need to take.

Does anyone else make lists? I keep 'em for different seasons, for group trips and solo trips.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
          Kingquad - welcome to the world of being born again single :sarcasm:

I'm always tweaking my lists of things to take. Despite moving up to a cabin tent, I'm still trying to minimize the amount of stuff I take. I keep lists for different kinds of trips, but on every trip there's still always either some little thing that I wish I'd taken or something I didn't really need to take.

Does anyone else make lists? I keep 'em for different seasons, for group trips and solo trips.
          I always intend to make a list but somehow it never enters my mind when I need to actually do it.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

If I hadn't learned to laugh at myself, it would be sad. Even with the lists I still manage to leave one or two things behind. I think I'm checking things off as I'm packing up the truck but evidently I'm not that sharp anymore. But, for the most part, they serve their purpose - I haven't done anything really stooopid (yes, stooopid with 3 o's) like leaving the sleeping bag behind on a Winter trip in years.

Comment

i dont use a list,
              but think i should,
              always something i keep leaving behind,
              recently i keep forgetting the same item, my grill grate,

Comment

I haven't forgotten anything major camping yet...however, for tailgating I have forgotten the griddle and propane once each. And I also forgot my game tickets once.
                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                – E. B. White

Comment

I make lists and then forget to use them .... But I'm pretty minimal, everything is always packed ready to go, so I usually grab & run.

Sorry to hear about the divorce. I volunteer at state and county parks and often run into dads who bring their little ones there to spend the day when they have custody. So hopefully you'll be out often with your little girl.

I am prepping - my fav park in Delaware opens March 1. I'm prepping by trying to arrange my work schedule so I can take a few days off and "live outdoors" for a few days.
                  Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

I would forget my ____ if it weren't permanently attached. Or so the saying goes. I keep most of my stuff packed in rubbermaid roughneck containers of varying sizes. It helps keep me somewhat organized and makes those last minute trips much easier to pull off. I found the 18 gallon ones at walmart a year back for about $6 per. I bought 6 and then when I realized how good of a deal that was I went back and bought every one they had on the shelf. I had 2 different clerks check 2 times on the price. The smaller ones cost more than that. They are about the perfect size for holding my gear. Just my 2 cents.

-S

Comment

I have been primitive winter camping several time this winter. The snow is deep and the temperatures are cold. Since I have to sled all my gear in, I am meticulous about what I bring and how much. Every piece of equipment and clothing is looked over for damage, wear, or flaws because there is zero tolerance for equipment failure when you are in the backcountry on sleds.

SO... I do know what you are talking about. The good thing about camping often is that when you return, you can look over your gear and food as you clean up and ask if you used it - if not, out she goes.

I confess that it is fun to fiddle around with gear - even cleaning the stuff up when you get back - drying tents and airing out sleeping bags. Refilling fuel canisters and stoves, waxing skis.

Comment

Divorce=not taking a shower? Interesting logic....never would have thought of it.

Comment

When I first started camping, each time I was pulling a lot of stuff out of kitchen cabinets and drawers, the basement, the garage, etc...because they were things I needed to keep handy for every day use. Over the years, I've accumulated a 'camping' set of everything I need, most of which I keep in totes, located in one place, either in the basement or the garage (depending on where is more appropriate, given moisture in the basement). I've tried to accumulate from garage sales or thrift stores, and keep a list of what I'm looking for in my glove compartment....because otherwise I'd forget.

I also keep a pen and pad in one of my totes (always the same one), and throughout my camping trip, I write down items I wish I had brought with me. I do try to bring things that have multiple uses, to save weight and space.

Comment

Originally posted by Joyous56 View Post
                            Divorce=not taking a shower? Interesting logic....never would have thought of it.
                            I plan on using baby wipes. I am bald, so there is no need to wash my hair. The shower was for the x to wash her body and hair. She wanted to have a shower everyday.

Comment

Working...
                            X