Solid vegetable oil vs liquid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid vegetable oil vs liquid

When you go camping use a solid type of shortening, such as Crisco, instead of a liquid, such as liquid oil. It is much harder for a solid type to ruin other stuff. I have had two bottles of liquid oil lose their tops and spill oil all over the rest of the container.
    I will leave the health benefit arguments to others.
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Re: Solid vegetable oil vs liquid

Of course, "solid vegetable oil" is most typically hydoginated oil. Some people don't like that. Frankly it isn't that big of a deal to me

More natural alternatives include butter, lard, coconut oil, and palm oil which are either solid or thick at 65 degrees F

If hydrogenated oils are your fancy, you can use margarine which will flavor the food with a butter and salt flavor

Comment

Why go without something you prefer? Duct tape and/or zip lock bags solve the leaking problem. Maybe even putting the oil in a different container with a more secure top. That's what I've done with every liquid I was afraid of spilling. Never had a problem.

Comment

I use cast iron, car camping and at home. When at home I use sunflower oil in my cast. I have had 2 times were the lid has come open in liquids, getting oil all over everything in the totes. I just realized this morning I could get by with crisco to oil the pan. Don't have to worry about spillage.
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Well, solidified oils or fats is certainly a reasonable solution to the spill problem. I put my oil in s pump container. I put all bottles that might leak inside plastic bags

Comment

I use the Pam spray can in Olive Oil flavor. And yep, in a ziplock bag.
            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I've never had an issue with my canola oil leaking - that's because I use only Nalgene containers (okay, in my field, I get a great deal on them too). The 250 ml work out the best for long weekends. From a portable sink, to handling maple syrup, etc. I've not seen anything that seals better nor stands up to outdoor use than Nalgene containers.
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I use stainless steel flasks. They pack well. :cool:
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X