Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Economy Goes Down, Tents go up

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TRAVEL/03/26...omy/index.html

I found the above article this morning on CNN about the increased sales in camping gear.

The tone of the article leads me to beleive the author is an elitist prick, and needs to get out of whatever city he's living in.

That aside camping can definatly help the budget when taking a long vacation. A few years ago, my family and two other couple drove to California from Kansas and camped near or in all the NP in the SW US for two weeks. Total cost for the trip: $800. Of course we used gear we had already.

On one hand it's nice that some people are camping again, and that's more people I can swap storeis with. But I was very annoyed last weekend when I pulled into a campsite I had been going to for 5 years, and rarely saw another person let alone camper, was crawling with people.

Sorry to hear your favorite campsite polluted with people but it is good to see more trying camping with their vacations or weekend getaways.
    2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crewcab
    2004 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD
    I am not lost, I am here

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Comment

Much of this probably has to do with the big theme parks having become just too expensive - not only the admission, but lodging, food, gas... the whole enchilada! And then driving/flying costs to get there for out-of-staters.
      So, Dad decides to do a family camping trip closer to home - a lot cheaper! And if it gets the kids outdoors away from their game machines, all the better!
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Bigdog57,
        you said it right. they can enjoy the outdoors and maybe listen to the night sounds while sitting around the glowing embers of the campfire.
        2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crewcab
        2004 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD
        I am not lost, I am here

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Comment

Camping for vacation

Interesting... I had never looked at it like this, but it makes perfect sense with the economy being as bad as it is. Families can save loads of money by doing something as simple as camping for vacation as opposed to flying off to Mexico or Disney. Guess we just have to be tolerant in sharing the camp grounds with more people.

http://www.familytentdeals.com

Comment

There were a couple times some of the kids in the campground got on my nerves. Then I checked my self and thought at least they are outside instead in front of the television. At least their parents brought them camping.

Comment

And for us, we love camping, but do enjoy gourmet cooking and fine fines and such. Camping, gives us the freedom to see many places throughout the year instead of just going to one place in an expensive hotel and eat way too expensive food. I can fly fish from the kayak, wildlife watch, and just spend good quality time with the one I love. And still eat the foods we like(one has to eat everyday anyway), way not do it camping. I took my children camping plenty back in the day and now my boys are both chefs, one here in Las Vegas and the other in chilly Minnesota. It is wonderful to see families camping if the chldren have been taught politeness. Rude children need to be corrected by their parents.
              Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
              Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

We had gorgeous weather today (Saturday) and rode about 190 miles, out west of Tallahassee, Florida and back. Saw a lot of other bikes on the road, and a LOT of campers/RVs on the road! We checked out a couple campgrounds (for later possible camping) and they were FULL - mostly bigger TT's and a few RVs. I am seeing more trailers than powered rigs these days - I guess folks need to use a vehicle they can make use of besides camping. Luckily gas prices are still decent - we gassed at the Flying J truckstop for $1.97 a gallon, while most stations are running $2.07 on the average here.
                I am seeing a lot of boats for sale too - people getting rid of those "holes in the water to pour money into".....
                Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Where I live gas has been around 1.85 the past few months.

When I was younger I thought I wanted a jet ski, then I got to thinking that I would only be able to use it 3.5 months out of the year, but be sending in the payment year round. I've never been able to justify it financially in my mind.

Now a kayak on the other hand. I've been thinking about one of those. My only hang up is I would have to get another vehicle to transport it convienently, and I'm not willing to do that.

Comment

Howdy lpd(lowplainsdrifter),
                    What kind of vehicle do you drive? If you are single, small individual kayaks are the best way to go and transporting them isn't that hard. There is the initial output of funds but once that is done, you don't have to buy a new license and trailer regististration every year like you would for a jet ski. You also are getting a great break on gas. Here in Vegas it is $2.45 a gal. That is because it is assumed that everyone that comes to Vegas has money and the people who live and work here got money too! Heehee!

Fly fishing from a kayak just takes arm strength and knowing your fish.

Comment

We have a Ford Escape and an F150. I have a wife and two kids. I could put a Kayak in the back of the truck, but then the rest of the family would not be coming. I could probably find a rack to put on the Escape.

A lot of it is right now with the family situation, my kids are 4 and 2 kayaking just doesn't fit. Probably when they get older and can power a boat themselves we'll try it. We'll start with canoes. We went on a few float trips when we just had one child. Haven't tried it with two kids.

My New Years Resolution was to learn to fish this summer. So by the time we're ready to get on a river we'll be expirenced fisherpeople.

Comment

Howdy lpd,
                        Great, I see want you mean. Canoes further on up the road are better anyway, you can pack more gear in them. Kayaks are for flat-water or river running. I ran rivers before helmets were invented so I kissed a few too many submerged rocks. I'm pleased as punch that you have gotten your little family involved in camping. When your children are older and on their own they too will be campers, that you can count on, I'll bet my bottom dollar on it! You're a good man charlie brown, err I mean lpd! Thanks for sharing a bit of your life with everyone! When ideas fail words save the day, thanks for sharing!

Comment

I married into a family that had six girls. All of them have been camping since birth. We go camping regularly with 3 of my wifes sister's and their families. Another comes with us once a year. Mostly because they live further away. And only 1, the black sheep of the family so to speak absolutly refuses to camp. It should surprise no one she's the youngest.

Both of my children made their first camping trip when they were 4 months old. I know my 4 year is hooked, Two weeks before a trip she'll refuse to sleep in her bed, and want to sleep in a sleeping bag on the floor because she's getting ready for camping.

Not like I grew up a stranger to camping either. Between grade school and college I went camping 11 times a year with Boy Scouts. The only month we didn't camp was December. When I started camping with my wife's family they told me I needed more stuff than a sleeping bag, swiss army knife, and twine. :D

Comment

Howdy lpd,
                            Thanks for sharing, that is a nice way to be a great camper; sharing experiences on this board!

Comment

Originally posted by vegasdesertfox View Post
                              Howdy lpd,
                              Thanks for sharing, that is a nice way to be a great camper; sharing experiences on this board!
                              Is this where I talk about the time we found out the hard way bears like the scent of baby wipes?

Comment

Working...
                              X