Can't afford a YETI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't afford a YETI

Need a decent cooler for tent camping. Want a quality unit but cant/ don't want to afford a YETI. Any thoughts on a quality 40qt cooler at a decent price?

Thanks!

Re: Can't afford a YETI

You can take out a loan and get a Yeti but it is the first thing to get stolen. The extreme and commercial coolers are better than the regular ones.

Comment

It is nothing fancy, but I picked up a 36 quart Coleman Xtreme for $30 at the local grocery store promotion around the 4th of July. Nothing fancy. Your basic plastic cooler with a drain valve. The "Xtreme" basically means extra thick insulation walls. A little less interior space for given size, but these things are awesome at keeping stuff cold. I've left it after getting home just to see and still had ice after five or six days with this thing. Pretty impressive. I would buy another -- or whatever Igloo calls their version.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...0_g200_ir01_bs

You can get them in whatever size you need -- 36 qt, 52 qt, 62 qt, 70 qt, 100 qt -- with or without wheels. If you want to check them out, I'm pretty sure WalMart and every other big box retailer under the sun sells them.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...treme%20cooler

I would definitely buy another. It is significantly better than the standard plastic coolers.

Comment

Coleman Extreme series= good value per dollar spent.

Igloo's variation (think it's called MaxiCold)- Nooooooooooo.
        Serious hunk of junk that I purchased at a Costco's. It's only redeeming quality is it's taller than most coolers and wine bottles fit readily.

I have more time now so I'm adding additional observations.

Other problems with the MaxiCold:

Badly placed drain plug. It's directly behind the widest side you'd tilt (assuming you trusted the telescoping handle to hold the weight) and inset to boot. Speaking of the handle...I've never trusted it to take the full weight when full or even partially full.

Don't think it has as much insulation as the Coleman Extreme either.
        Last edited by NYCgrrl; 10-07-2013, 05:00 PM.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
          Coleman Extreme series= good value per dollar spent.

Igloo's variation (think it's called MaxiCold)- Nooooooooooo.
          Serious hunk of junk that I purchased at a Costco's. It's only redeeming quality is it's taller than most coolers and wine bottles fit readily.

I have more time now so I'm adding additional observations.

Other problems with the MaxiCold:

Badly placed drain plug. It's directly behind the widest side you'd tilt (assuming you trusted the telescoping handle to hold the weight) and inset to boot. Speaking of the handle...I've never trusted it to take the full weight when full or even partially full.

Don't think it has as much insulation as the Coleman Extreme either.
          :D that is awesome.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

Hit up Craigslist, "Marine Cooler" is the search term I typically use. Ask the seller. "Where did you get it? How many quarts? What brand?" Ask for photos as well, typically a quick google search for "Brand X, # Quarts Marine Cooler" will come up with reviews and price, from there just read what others have shared. Some Simple Green cleaner and a scrub brush you have a great cooler, cheaper than retail and no taxes. :cool:
            sigpic

Comment

Thx for all of the input. Will go with the Coleman Extreme.

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                :D that is awesome.

2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by new2campn View Post
                  Need a decent cooler for tent camping. Want a quality unit but cant/ don't want to afford a YETI. Any thoughts on a quality 40qt cooler at a decent price?

Thanks!
                  Don't worry about it. I have a Yeti (I won a gift certificate to Cabela's and that's what I got.) I am not impressed with it at all. It doesn't keep colder than the Coleman Extreme. In fact, this year, I tend to grab the Coleman instead of the Yeti because it's easier to move.
                  Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Originally posted by GlitterHiker View Post
                    Don't worry about it. I have a Yeti (I won a gift certificate to Cabela's and that's what I got.) I am not impressed with it at all. It doesn't keep colder than the Coleman Extreme. In fact, this year, I tend to grab the Coleman instead of the Yeti because it's easier to move.
                    I'm sorry to hear that about the Yeti. I've been dreaming of upgrading at some point in the future and had great hopes for it. Do you use 2 coolers or one when you go out? Meaning one for beverages and another for food? I'm wondering because I've never been able to gauge the true cold keeping capabilities value (or lack) of the MaxiCold since it's used only fer drinks on my end.
                    2017:

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that about the Yeti. I've been dreaming of upgrading at some point in the future and had great hopes for it. Do you use 2 coolers or one when you go out? Meaning one for beverages and another for food? I'm wondering because I've never been able to gauge the true cold keeping capabilities value (or lack) of the MaxiCold since it's used only fer drinks on my end.
                      I only use one cooler, as I typically camp solo. And I'm only opening it twice a day - for breakfast and dinner. I'm usually out & about all day and not at the campsite.
                      One trip next year I may take both the Yeti and the Coleman, pack both somewhat similarly, and conduct a field test.

Comment

Originally posted by GlitterHiker View Post
                        I only use one cooler, as I typically camp solo. And I'm only opening it twice a day - for breakfast and dinner. I'm usually out & about all day and not at the campsite.
                        One trip next year I may take both the Yeti and the Coleman, pack both somewhat similarly, and conduct a field test.
                        May your field trip give you joy.

You'll be happy to know I went on an 8 night/2 adults trip in September with only one cooler (about 40 qts) instead of my normal 3. All went well and I wanted for nothing. Well nothing I couldn't get at the supermarket.....
                        2017:

Comment

I have been using a Coleman Extreme 70 qt cooler for a few years now, great cooler for the money. A block of ice can last 5 days in warm weather if you use common sense. The hinges are cheap and will break in time, but they can be replaced with real hinges, screws and some 5200 Marine adhesive sealant.
                          Last edited by Old Time Camper; 10-12-2013, 12:54 PM.
                          I’m a self-made man, I started out with nothing and I still have most of it!

Comment

I usually replace broken hinges with leather ones which never fail.

Comment

... I wanted for nothing. Well nothing I couldn't get at the supermarket.....
                              Nothing like camping on the Eastern Seaboard - you're never really far from a supermarket .

Comment

Working...
                              X