REI barcodes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REI barcodes?

I have a question about REI bar codes. I've read various places that certain color X's over the barcodes mean certain things (ie, return, bought at clearance event, or whatever). Is there some kind of guide to this, or do any of you know what they mean?

I'm asking because I'm looking for a Kingdom 6 and one of the ebay hits has a black X through the barcode. I've seen other pieces where the seller states there is a red X through the barcode.
    Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
    Nights under the stars:
    2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
    2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Re: REI barcodes?

Yep, the black "X" means it was bought at the REI members only garage sale and cannot be returned to REI. I am pretty sure that it means it comes with no warranty as well. If an REI member buys something and returns it to the store, they sell it at the "Members only" garage sale. To notify all stores that it is a return, they put a "X" through the bar code. The seller probably bought this at a garage sell and wanted to make a quick buck.
    I know some swear by ebay, but this is the shady stuff you have to watch out for.

Here is a link to my local garage sale.
    http://www.rei.com/event/47867/session/64588
    All items are sold "as is" at the garage sale, indicated by the "X" on the barcode.
    Last edited by 05Kingquad700; 10-06-2013, 05:05 PM.
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I've been to a couple of those sales, there are definitely resellers attending those events. I've been there for the gate opening, I saw a guy pick up a half dozen hiking packs without even giving them a once over. There was also a family using a laptop to download a PDF manual of a cabin tent to make sure it had all the parts. Another guy had a bicycle tire and he walked in and started testing the pumps. Anything to save some $$$!

What is the eBay seller's return policy? Does it state all the parts are there? I sell on eBay and typically the number one question I get when selling an item is "ARE ANY PARTS MISSING?" even if I clearly post it in the listing, buyers still ask. :cool:
      sigpic

Comment

In my understanding from buying from these sales ( the sellers I bought from in San Diego was the company's founder himself) it was explained that the X meant the products were seconds, and gladly showed me the tiny flaw. He assured me that his company would honor warranty claims and that I simply could not returned the tent to the main store. The Prana annual clothing items I buy also have the same X through the tags, they aren't returnable to the main stores.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
        X