Truck Cap Camping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Truck Cap Camping?

I also have an F150 with a cap. I found this pretty cool inflatable mattress which fits right into the truck bed over the wheel wells and all. Its burly and inflates in a few minutes. I tried it out a while ago. I found that I'm a little too tall to close up the gate, but it's comfy warm if I just closed the top cap cover and left the tailgate up because the mattress fills the gap. I forget where I bought it but its this style...

Comment

I tent camp with a truck that has a cap. The back of the truck stays pretty full while we are camping -- what I "need" is based on how much space I have -- and is where all the food goes at night. I understand it's not bearproof but where I camp it's raccoons and javelina that are the problem. So you have to deal with that. I've used a prior truck with cap to sleep in the back on a foam mattress but had to make arrangements for storing all the gear and food during the night. Once I built a platform on the wheel wells that could be partially disassembled during the day, allowing better access. Somewhere on the internet I saw an article about building drawer-type arrangements under the platform. The other solution I used once was to build a sort of bench that spanned the front of the bed (up against the cab). That allowed me to stack stuff there during the night and wasn't so deep as to feel confining with my feet under it while sleeping.

Comment

I've seen that drawer thing too - It would be easy enough to do.
        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by mistyreiny View Post
          I am looking at buying a truck cap to go camping in, however I want to advertise my business on the side of the cap which rules out side windows. I figure I need to have a sunroof since I desperately want ambient light in it. What truck bed cap manufacturers produce the sunroof in the shell?
          Could you put the advertisement on the actual windows? That would allow some light to get in.

I haven't seen any shells with a skylight built in, but you could probably have one or two of the 14x14 standard RV vents installed. Another option would be to install a nose cone (used for big rigs). Someone did that to a clipper - installed the nose cone over the cabover. Lots of soft light coming in and added about 6 inches to the height (and it's "aerodynamic" to an extent).
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I've camped in truck shells quite a lot over time. I cant imagine having a pickup without a shell. I've built beds that were wheel well level and went halfway across the width of the bed, with lockable storage underneath in a couple small trucks. My favorite larger truck method was a utility shell with tool boxes on the edges of the bed with a metal shell extending up from them, being maybe 6-8" higher than the cab of the truck. I made a folding bed in that, it was pretty well out of the way when not being used. Not as much light as side windows, but passable. I slept with the rear overhead door open most of the time.

One shell I had on a Toyota pickup had full length side doors hinged at the top. Very nice for getting the bed organized, or talking to the dog. I'd sometimes sleep with the sides up.

I went to SUVs. Couldn't figure out a good reason to have a truck when I always had them covered, and had dogs to carry. Suburbans are about right for me, though a smaller SUV could work, and get better mileage. Far easier to deal with when wanting to carry extra people. Adog platform in the back end works great for secure and out of sight storage, and giving the dog a place to ride and see whats going on. I can slide my legs under it if desired for sleeping.

I never bought a new shell. Used car dealers tend to take shells off, and are a good place to look for them for CHEAP. I've bought a couple for around $75. The one with the side that opened up was one of them. Had to drive a couple hours to get it, but it was definitely worthwhile.

The shell with the tool boxes was custom made when I worked in a machine shop. All steel construction, welded edges, and about bomb proof.

I've seen some impressive modifications on vehicles to make camping out of them much easier, from swing out or fold out kitchens/stoves, slide out refrigerators, drawers under a bed, onboard small water storage and even hot shower setups, rooftop tents. and storage under the folded or removed seats. Rollup canopies like on the side of large RVs look useful also. Expedition Portal forum and American Adventurist have quite a bit of that sort of thing. One guy was setting up a Subaru wagon for himself and his wife to travel and camp in. http://www.americanadventurist.com/f...erlander.2702/ Another couple are 15 years on the road all over the world in a Mitsubishi van with some modifications. http://viajeros4x4x4.com/

If I have junk in my living space when camping or sleeping, I often put it in the passenger front seat area. Sometimes in the drives seat area also.
            Last edited by Malamute; 12-22-2015, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X