Dispersed camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dispersed camping

I'm sure I've read it before, and I have a general idea, but please explain: what is dispersed camping.

Re: Dispersed camping

Here locally, my National Forest bans general public use of hunt camps during hunting season - they can be used ONLY by licensed hunters at that time. And yes, boondocking is banned during hunting season too. Check your local National Forest laws.
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

In the western states, dispersed camping is also the designated term for camping on Bureau of Land Management (BLM) public lands. And we don't care if it is hunting season or not.

Not sure if the blanket statement (One major caveat about dispersed camping though - during hunting season which is generally anytime between September and December (but longer in some areas) - all dispersed camping will be banned) is correct for all national forests. Primarily out here in the west. If I have time today, I'll call one of my counterparts at the Manti Lasal NF and ask about this policy.
      Last edited by F5Moab; 08-28-2013, 06:02 AM.

Comment

In the West, most NFs only restrict the use of fire. They have no restrictions on dispersed camping.
        I left the East Coast in 1972 precisely because of the situations described above. I could not find a place to camp during hunting season.

Western hunting seasons start in August and go thru December or later for things like birds. The peak use periods are usually late Sept to early Nov.
        Last edited by ppine; 08-28-2013, 02:01 PM.

Comment

We have been out for nearly a month and half the time we have camped dispersed because it's so convenient. We have spent 2 weeks in Idaho and many of the national forest campgrounds have dispersed sites located right next to the campground. You don't get a picnic table or fire ring, but for free, it's a smoking hot deal. My wife is not as keen about these as she like the her bathroom. I bought her a small porta pottie and I plan on buying a bag of liners for her when she does her business.

We always carry about 10 gallons of water. I have a Berkey gravity fed water filter that will make drinking water out of lake or river water. I bought a shower tent that works great as long as there is not wind. I have 2 solar shower bags.

We see so many people all over the national forests in the west camping dispersed.
          Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
          sigpic

Comment

That's what I thought, but wasn't sure since I have no real idea when hunting season is in most of the western states.

I do recommend that you check each NF district for regs. For example in the Fishlake NF (UT) you can camp up to 150 feet away from a major road and a 100 feet from a river/stream, while it is 200 feet from a stream/river in the Dixie NF.

Comment

also dont forget State forests,
              On east coast we tend to have less national forest and more state forests,
              similar rules apply to state forest,
              but do have to check locally for specific regulations.
              even within a state rules will vary depending on region,
              PA for example requires a parking permit to park at trailheads overnight in delaware state forest in eastern PA,
              yet not a requirement in western part of state.
              also on east coast camping along appalachian trail may have different set of rules

Comment

Thanks, everyone. My family has started camping more at state parks, but not dispersed camping. We four ladies do feel more comfortable with a bath house close by, but maybe one day, we'll do the dispersed camping. (When I hear of the term "boon-docking", I think of Walmart parking lots!!!). BTW- I'm lovin' this forum!!

Comment

You east coast guys have it made; National forests with showers.

Comment

Dispersed camping has nothing to do with bath houses, showers, hiking trails or other so called amenities. It is a type of camping where there are no facilities. Otherwise it is something else.

Comment

Originally posted by ppine View Post
                      Dispersed camping has nothing to do with bath houses, showers, hiking trails or other so called amenities. It is a type of camping where there are no facilities. Otherwise it is something else.
                      Yep! You want a shower, you wait for the rain! ;-)
                      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Or use a portable solar shower which weighs almost nothing. Bathing in a stream or lake becomes inviting after about 4-5 days.

Comment

Working...
                        X