Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oregon camper, need help finding good campsite!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oregon camper, need help finding good campsite!

Hello everyone,

I just had a quick few questions(with extremely long-winded explanations)

I've been put in charge of my family's annual camping trip coming up in a few weeks, and I just wanted to pick the forum's brain to try and find a good site. We normally go to some dull place, KOA-style site, plenty of paved roads, can't-walk-10ft-without-being-in-another-campsite kind of place. I want something different, seclusion is my primary goal.

Specifically, a site on a river or lake that a mini-van could get to. We are also willing to hike quite a distance to get to a spot if it's a good'un. My normal favorite, Olallie lake in Central Oregon, has expanded its campgrounds to include the entire shoreline now. I probably should mention I have issues with paying someone money to camp. Seems a bit counter-intuitive, leaving behind the city and all it's paid entertainment for a weekend, but then having to pay to sit on a lake shore. I also do not like dealing with Forest Rangers. They are fine people, and they have important jobs, but they are practiced experts at ruining a good time. And the big one of course, is finding a site that isn't stuffed to the gills with other people. Me and mine are likely to get rowdy at night, and while I respect other people's space and wishes for a quiet night, I'd rather just nip the problem at the start and not camp where there are other people.

So the farther away from people, the better. I did attempt to google about former campsites or sites that have been abandoned, but all that came back was just news about missing hikers, abandoned tents, etc. I've also been trawling Google maps, but every site I used to visit as a child now has roads, country stores, and of course, pay-to-play campsites(Although the van will need a road to get there, I suppose, though I do not mind hiking). Oh! Nearly forgot, we don't need an actual 'campsite'. I have my own table, my own firepit cover, etc from my years as a civil war reenactor. A 'campsite' for me is a clearing near the water, with at least a few trees to string up a shelter for the equipment.

Well that turned out to be a bit more long-winded than I intended. If you made it this far, congratulations! You win a cookie. But I digress.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good site to camp? I live in Portland, OR, so anywhere in NE, NW Oregon or SE, SW Washington would be wonderful. If it's a truly perfect spot, I might be willing to hop state lines into Idaho or California.

Well that's it for me, my fingers are starting to hurt, I await your replies!

Cheers all,
    Drame22
    Last edited by Drame22; 08-26-2013, 03:03 AM.

Re: Oregon camper, need help finding good campsite!

How long have you lived in OR? It is one of the states with the best organized campsites in the world. Look at some maps, pack up the truck and go drive around. Start with the Columbia Gorge. No need to go very far for great campsites. Much less in the way of crowds after Labor Day and during the week.

It would be sacriledge to travel to Idaho to camp when living in OR.
    I have not seen a "Forest Ranger" in at least 25 years.
    Paying to camp helps support maintenance like the water system, outhouses, trash removal, removal of dangerous trees, bear boxes, etc.

Comment

Re: Oregon camper, need help finding good campsite!

Alas, between work and college classes I don't have time to just drive around. I wish! I'll only have the 4 days off that we'll actually be camping, that's why I came on here to ask around, see if anyone knew of some good spots.

I've lived in Oregon my entire life, however as I mentioned, generally 'camping' to my family meant going to KOA, or some such similar area. Paved roads, showers, RV parking.... it just feels fake. We might as well have just stayed in our drive way.

I do know that paying to camp is for maintenance, however, for me to camp, I do not need water systems, outhouses, trash removal, etc. I need a nearby body of water to swim in.

When I have more time in the summer, I do plan to go adventuring to find some excellent campsites. This trip however, is coming up too fast for me to have anything like enough time to search for a site. Do you have any recommendations? The closer to Portland the better for our driver, but I could probably convince them to drive farther on if it was a really good site.

Did I mention we're willing to hike? I imagine most perfect locations can't be found with a minivan.

Cheers,
      Drame22

Comment

Working...
      X