Staying Cool without air conditioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staying Cool without air conditioning

What do you folks do to stay cool without electricity or A/C?

in another thread, Actad posted a link to a newish cooling towel that is all the rage in Japan now http://www.froggtoggswarehouse.com/p...FbDm7AodmWgA1A

I have been using Gold Bond Medicated Foot powder as body powder and that adds a great deal of comfort. Did you know that the extra strength medicated foot powder has 1% menthol while the extra strength body powder only has 0.16% menthol? I especially put in on the inside of my elbows and behind knees and on my back Oooooh coooool.

Any other ideas? Mint julips on the porch?

Re: Staying Cool without air conditioning

If I'm stuck outside in serious heat, one trick I use is to wrap some ice cubes up on a paper towel and putting it on top of my head under a baseball cap. The ice melts and drips down and cools the noggin. Of course you get wet, but when it's that hot I'm usually wet from sweatin' anyway.

Comment

Staying cool? I live in Mississippi - what's the problem? Stay in the shade - that's about it.
      2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Gain elevation. Gain ventilation. Reduce sun exposure and hunt some shade. Hydrate. Go swimming or at least put your tired feet in a stream. Carry less. Run a river in a boat or camp by a lake. Stay wet. Avoid July and August and seek out cooler times of year.

As outdoor destinations seems to get more crowded my main times for recreation are May, early June, Sept, Oct, and occasional winter trips to the desert. Fishing is all year except for the summer when the water is too warm for trout.

Comment

Shade in daytime, battery powered fan for sleeping at night. (Another from the swealtering south.)

Comment

We're blessed with low humidity (semi-desert climate) and the dog days are few and far between. Strangely enough when it gets ugly we can tolerate it with just keeping soaked and utilizing convection cooling. That SolarShower is so handy!
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Without AC their wouldn't be anyone in Florida during the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by coloradowalt View Post
                Without AC their wouldn't be anyone in Florida during the summer.
                Sounds like you've touched on something good, there!
                2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Plenty of people lived in Florida before AC. They are still called "conchs" in the islands.

Comment

If you need a 12 volt fan, this is the best I have ever seen. It is used a lot by camper trailer people. Three speeds and draws less than 3 amps on high. Amazing output.

http://www.amazon.com/Fan-Tastic-Ven...endless+breeze
                    When I awoke, the Dire Wolf
                    Six hundred pounds of sin
                    Was grinning at my window
                    All I said was, "Come on in".

Comment

Yup. Staying in the shade and swimming are one of the best ways to stay cool. Staying hydrated as well. That towel that's a craze in Japan seems interesting. Might have a take a look at that myself.

Comment

Working...
                      X