Charcoal vs wood campfires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charcoal vs wood campfires

In Wisconsin, it is not allowed to carry wood cross-county, so you pretty much have to buy wood locally (if you are staying at developed campgrounds)

Prices are going up and wood bundles are getting smaller. Now, it is $5.00 to $7.00 for a 12" diameter bundle.

I realized that for thermals and burn time, charcoal now is cheaper than firewood. It is cleaner, more convenient, and cooks better

So I am thinking, "Why not just use charcoal in the firepit??"

Am I missing something here? No getting choked by wayward wood smoke, no more bark in the car to sweep up, etc

Where are you guys on this one? Have we reached that point where the luxury of charcoal is priced the same as scrappy firewood??
    Yup. We switched to charcoal already
    2.13%
    We sometimes use charcoal, but mostly use firewood in campfires
    31.91%
    Nope, we like the smoke and the flame of firewood
    59.57%
    We don't mess with campfires anymore and go campfire-free
    6.38%

Re: Charcoal vs wood campfires

Wood fire for me, unless there is fire restrictions/ban. Then it is the camp chef propane fire ring.
    Last edited by 05Kingquad700; 08-06-2013, 05:14 PM. Reason: added the word propane to better explain the type of fire ring that I was talking about. Do people really read these?
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

When camping, I'm usually out & about all day. I get back to the campsite tired and pretty hungry. For me, camping solo, maintaining a campfire demands too much of my attention; I'd rather be doing something else. I want to prepare a meal quickly. In addition, I'm usually heading to bed pretty early, as the stars pop out. It's not worth it to start a campfire for just a few minutes. So using my Primus stove (either the backpacker or the 2-burner) is about it for me.
      Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

You know, Glitterhiker, even though I started this threat about campfire fuel, I rarely have campfires anymore. A candle or two gives me a flame to look at if needed. In Winter, fire can be nice, but it takes a lot of work to gather and haul wood in deep snow

This weekend, I had a charcoal BBQ at camp and realized the advantages - especially for the family buying firewood

I admire fellows like Hogsnapper and KingQuad who have the wherewithal to collect wood off-site and haul it to camp. Every once in a great while, I camp with a fellow like that and their efforts are always appreciated

Comment

Wood fires for ambiance, but for cooking I prefer charcoal or a propane stove and when backpacking or kayaking I use butane. A small wood fire is a nice relaxing way to end your day and for me it is an essential part of any camping experience.

Comment

Charcoal is okay for some applications but it is easy to run out of. Wood is always around. It smells good and provides lots of heat. Smoke keeps away bugs. You can cook on it. With Dutch ovens it is possible to cook for 50 people with one campfire.

edit-
            It is easy to forget that wood burning is carbon neutral. A tree absorbs the same amount of CO2 in its lifetime that it liberates during burning. It takes mining to make a metal stove, and fossil fuels to run it. Then you have the disposal of container problem and old stoves in landfills.
            Last edited by ppine; 08-15-2013, 11:41 AM.

Comment

I love to sit around the campfire at least one night when I'm camping. It just is so relaxing, and reminds me of my youth. The trouble is trying to make a campfire on my own when hubby is out fishing. (although today I made firestarters in old egg cartons - I'll see this weekend if they work!). As far as cooking goes though, charcoal is better, but with my fire-starting abilities, there I prefer Matchlight charcoal. lol

We were at a Chippewa County campground a few weeks ago (Wisconsin) and were expecting the typical 12" bundle of firewood for $6. Nope! The host gave us the wheelbarrow and said to fill it up! Awesome!!

Comment

A wood fire is a real fire! We have a good relationship with area landscapers who drop off their cut eucalyptus (burns long and hot like oak) at a strategic spot and I pick up a load on a tarp in the hatchback when I see it waiting for me. Looking at my logpile, there's about a cord-and-a-half stacked right now. It's not always cut to fit, so I pull out my Husky 455 Rancher and cut 'em on down pronto. In the past I had to have another driver bring along some of my wood, but since we added the Thule cargo box there's room for 3 nights of firewood, which would last most people more like four nights. Once the "Red Flag" warnings are up, we try to not go at all if possible, because here in the SoCal region you can't substitute a propane campfire OR charcoal - it's "no open flames", period, and you can only use a Coleman stove, and you must sign up for a permit do use even that.
                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Last camping trip I bought wood but from my previous trip and disappointing Fire I also brought Charcoal. I put the wood out the mixed in some charcoal to help get the fire going. Had a nice fire then.

Comment

Ha ha, Coastie, I did what you did but in reverse - kind of. I like camping and sometimes I just have to do it at home, so I have campfires on my driveway at my home in the city. When I put out the fire, I have charcoal remaining. I collect this left-over charcoal in a metal bucket and then use it in my charcoal grill as an adjunct to the store bought charcoal.

Comment

Mike I lived over in the Philippines for 10 months in 07. There most made their own Charcoal, by burning Coconut shells

Comment

Definitely not charcoal

Comment

Originally posted by Coastie View Post
                          Mike I lived over in the Philippines for 10 months in 07. There most made their own Charcoal, by burning Coconut shells
                          Ha! Would you believe I have a bag of coconut shell charcoal in my garage right now!

Comment

hahahaha small world

Comment

It's not camping without a fire, I have put charcoal into fireplaces, to cook lunch but I still need an evening fire. In Massachusetts a few of the state parks sold wood that was split and packed by homeless men. There was a small note on the bag about the foundation that did it, seemed like a worthy cause to buy from.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X