Lodge cast iron Sportsman's grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lodge cast iron Sportsman's grill

I've wanted one of the lodge cast iron grills for a long time and found them on Amazon for 61 bucks and change shipped free. I couldn't pass up that price and so I've got one en-route.
    http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L410-Pre.../dp/B00022OK2A

Does anyone out there use one on camping trips?
    Last edited by HogSnapper; 08-14-2013, 12:04 PM. Reason: fixed link url

Re: Lodge cast iron Sportsman's grill

Yes! We use & take our lodge cast iron pots, bread pan, pizza flat iron, and several frying pans when we camp! They are wonderful to cook with because the food is heated evenly! It doesn't matter what method of cooking is used! Even our biscuit pan has had some use! Love cast iron! Easy to clean also!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Wow! You've got me beat by a mile renodesertfox. :D My camp kitchen consists of a 10 inch Lodge CI skillet, a nice little Griswold #6 skillet, A Lodge 12 inch Dutch oven and a 2 (or so) quart enamel ware pot & lid and a CI pie maker. I'm looking forward to trying some steaks on the Grill my next trip too.

You're right about cast iron being easy to clean too. I clean mine by heating some plain water in it to a boil, scrub with a stiff nylon brush, pour water out and wipe it dry and then another very light coat of oil or shortening before I put it away.

It's surprising how cheap you can find good cast iron at thrift stores or garage sales. I paid a total of $5.50 for my 2 skillets in excellent condition.

Comment

Their best attribute looks to be the ability to be used directly over a fire, or under one, with no chance of damage to non-metal handles, like with a metal grill over an open fire. We use a dual-burner propane stove, so there's no advantage considering the tremendous weight of cast iron, and Consumer Reports recent testing found that the Lodge cast-iron series had uneven cooking and hotspots compared to other pan types.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

The tremendous weight doesn't bother my pickup at all. I use the skillets on an old Coleman stove and the weight doesn't bother it either.

Comment

Your cast iron grill is a great way to reduce burn scars on a undeveloped campsite as well. I don't know what kind of camping you do, but I "dry" camp a lot. No developed sites, or fire rings, so that would help. And your right, the cast iron doesn't bother my truck either.
            Nights camped in 2019: 24
            Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Cast iron is a fun way to cook in the outdoors. If you want to eat fast and keep doing other stuff skip the cast iron, use a propane grill and keep your meals simple. If on the other hand , you like creating nice dishes and you like spending time cooking meals in the out doors,then cast iron cooking gear, especially the dutch ovens, is the way to go. One thing that goes with me whenever I car camp is my Lodge cast iron griddle. It fits nicely on my propane two burner stove and I can cook just about anything on it. Clean up is a snap. JMO
              Last edited by Hikenhunter; 08-09-2013, 11:06 PM.

Comment

I also scored a good deal on a 3-pan set of cast iron, a total of $10 new-in-the-box at closeout. It hangs on wires in my garage, very decorative except for an occasional use outside frying fish on the BBQ's side-burner. Other than that, these things don't go camping anymore due to their weight. Not taking them along misses the nostalgia, but allows for a lot of other gear instead. I pay a lot for gasoline, so I don't miss my old pickup and its ability to carry cast iron cooking gear either while I'm in the Prius. Come to think of it, I didn't experience the hotspots CU notes in their LODGE reviews, but they're the experts and I'm just a guy with a digital thermometer. :cool:
                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Ya, I hear ya, TPlife. I really like cooking with cast iron, but these days I skip the campfire altogether and just use candles for ambiance. Developed campgrounds are picked clean of wood and you can't bring your own.

Of course, when I go backwoods backpacking, cast iron is the first item to be taken off the packing list.

I guess, the only time I use cast iron is for canoe camp trips and at home

Comment

Funny how people are posting about cooking with cast iron, when its obvious they didn't even look at the pic the OP linked to......
                    Nights camped in 2019: 24
                    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

A buddy of mine has that same grill. Works well cooking a couple burgers at a time. A bit slow cooking for a big get-together though.
                      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                        Funny how people are posting about cooking with cast iron, when its obvious they didn't even look at the pic the OP linked to......
                        You are right we all got off topic on that one, and I did look at the link. That is a great find SmokeEater. I got really lucky a few years back and I found one like it at a garage sale. It was never used and had a little rust on it but I got it for ten bucks cause they didn't want to put anything back that they had out for sale. It is great for cooking for 1 or 2 people. I use it when we are dutch oven cooking to grill small amounts of fresh vegetables like asparagus or broccoli and things like that. Have fun with it.

Comment

I have not used that cast iron grill for camping or at home. Yet. I've been eyeing it though. Let us know how you like it.
                          Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

I tried it out tonight and I think I'm going to like this little grill. It doesn't take anywhere near as much charcoal as larger grills and once that cast iron heats up the steaks cook pretty darn fast.

The grill comes from the factory pre seasoned but I can't leave well enough alone so I seasoned mine again before I cooked on it. When taken apart it will fit in our oven. I did give the cooking grill another spray with Pam baking spray before slapping the steaks on and there was no sticking.

Bottom line, I'm happy I bought it and feel like it was a good buy.

Comment

Working...
                            X