Face to Face with a Bear!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Face to Face with a Bear!

I'm not sure what the story is behind it, but here is another example of always being cautious. Amazing how fast he gets up that tree, must see if you haven't. I been seeing this all week and still wonder if I'd jump or fight if he would have attacked.

http://huntervids.com/videos/bear-cl...e-with-hunter/

Re: Face to Face with a Bear!

I encountered some bears in Tennessee a few years back. Younger bears, like the one in the video, are very curious. I guess I've always heard; don't run, try not to react, see what they do. If they are agressive, be big and loud- chances are they'll back down! Now, whether or not I would have the courage to be big and loud? Doubtful! LOL. When we encountered those in TN it was two or three cubs that came up sniffing us and trying to figure out what we were. We didn't touch them, just watched them. Got a little nervous when Momma Bear showed up and started grunting at the cubs; but she stayed at a distance, she almost seemed 'in distressed' because she wanted to get her cubs but was afraid to come near us. Eventually they left and went back to momma bear. The experience did sort of make me wonder whether or not these black bears are afraid of humans? Just about anything will attack if provoked but I wonder how serious your chances really are of being attacked by an unprovoked bear.

We have black bear here in MO too but I've never gotten close. I've either seen them from a tree stand, watched them forage for food. Or from a window in my home, out in a field walking around. They would never come near the house. I don't think a Black Bear will come around people if they don't feel like they have to!

Comment

Wow, cool vid. I would have had a hard time not petting the bear.

First things first, of course: I guess I would first poop in my pants, then maybe pet the bear.

Comment

OMG! I hope I never get that close to a bear. Yep, I would've had my bear spray out.
        Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

A nice video if you like bears in your lap. The guy was hunting bears from a tree stand over bait. One of the several bears in the video smelled the guys lunch and went to investigate. The hunter was probably too scared to make any noise, yell, or fire a warning shot. He did everything wrong, was paralyzed by fear and got away with a video to show his friends. He was lucky.

Before the NPS and USFS figured out trash management bear encounters were much more frequent. They are amazing critters and even black bears should be given a lot of respect. There are more fatalities involving black bears even in Alaska than any other species of bear.

Watch your food storage and make noise in deep cover. Avoid the close range encounters at all costs. Don't be like the dolt in the video.
          Last edited by ppine; 07-28-2013, 04:42 PM.

Comment

I have camped in quite a few bear areas, including Shoshone NF in WY and Custer NF in MT, and have seen dozens of bears. Just returned from a camping trip off the Beartooth Hwy in MT and there was a big black that kept popping into the campground. I never saw him (or her), but a guy camping a half mile from me made the mistake of trying to fry some bacon early in the AM and the bear stopped over for breakfast.

As others have said, keep the site clean, store the food in a food locker or in the back of the vehicle. DO NOT store it in a cooler in a vehicle in plain sight. Many bears know what a cooler is and will go through a car window or door to get at a cooler.

And contrary to some opinions of those who have not had a close encounter with a bear, bear spray works. Just make sure it is an approved bear spray and not some type of human or dog pepper spray. And if you find a need to use it, get the heck out after using. Don't hang around to see how long it takes for the bear to recover. Under most circumstances the bear will leave and not come back...but if they do come back, I would not recommend being there.

And if you come across a bear and her cubs, stop, don't move any closer and start to back out. Under most cases, mom will let you know not to come closer and will run off with the kids. I took these photos a few years ago in the Smoky Mountains. Mom did the "back off stare" then trotted off with her four cubs.

Comment

The guy in the video is still a fool, not a hero. People need to learn to make bears aware of their presence.

I have encountered lots of bears, many in SE Alaska at close range in the heavy cover and rain, less than 40 yards. I learned to make lots of noise. Be leery of anyone you meet that sneaks around in the woods, saying things like "I hope we see a bear."
              Last edited by ppine; 08-02-2013, 11:40 AM.

Comment

great pics F5Moab!!

i ran into a mother black bear with 2 cubs in pennsylvania when i was a teenager. mom did that same 'back off stare' and sure enough i did back off.

Comment

Had a big one standing tall at the bottom of the 4 steps onto my porch - I had left the back door open and lights on and he was curious. I got mad and yelled at him and slammed the door and he left. Meanwhile, one cat hit the side wall about 3 feet up running down the hall, the other one came fast (that's how I knew something was seriously wrong) and then she peed on my computer desk. Poor things. The problem was the bear stood up.

Comment

Working...
                  X