First aid kit/survival bag questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First aid kit/survival bag questions

I'm new to the forum, so I don't know if this question has been asked a million times or not, so I apologize if it has been.

What's in your first aid kit and survival bag? If you're camping and hiking with a partner, do you each carry the same things or do you split the supplies up? Do the things you carry change with each place you go and the people you have with you or do they remain constant? Would having young children with you change what you carry? Would you have the children carry their own small bags or just assume you can carry enough for yourself and kids?

I'm trying to put together some bags, and looking for ideas. I have a 5yo and a 3yo, and while I know they would love to have their own little bag, I can't imagine a situation where they could use anything effective on their own, besides a whistle maybe. Neither of them can even unwrap a Power Bar yet. So would you make them a bag of their own? Just carry everything yourself? What are the essentials?

Re: First aid kit/survival bag questions

First of all, for your kids, give each of them a loud whistle and teach them to use it. Teach them that if they are lost to stop and blow the whistle in three blasts - the international code for distress. Tell them to keep blowing until you come for them and don't walk around.

I have a five year old grandson who knows the importance of the whistle. In addition, I taught out dog how to find our grandson. That took a lot of work.

Finally, for your own emergency kit, I suggest that it is something that you put in your pocket rather than in a backpack. You tend to put backpacks down and forget them, but you get lost when you are just trapesing through the woods.

Basic gear is a knife, matches, a comp**** and something you can boil water like a metal cup or even an empty tuna fish can. My friend and I got lost in a blizzard in the Sierra Nevada mountains and had to spend the night outside with no gear than the clothes on our backs and those four items described above. We both made it alive.

A compass is not much use if you don't at least know where you are starting and which direction you are heading when you start. In other words, you can't find your way back if you have no idea which direction back is.

Always Always, have some direction in YOUR own head as you travel including the auto travel getting to your destination. Don't rely on your mates to keep track of directions. Most people get fatally lost just going for short walks; no map, no comp**** no gear, and no clue. Bushwhackers are prepared with maps and gear and thus have a better chance of survival even if they do get disoriented.

Comment

I have my basics that I carry on me on any trip/hike,
      Then additional items will vary depending on trip and people I am hiking with.
      For new hikers, I carry the emergency gear and let them know what I have and where I keep it,
      As they become more experienced hikers they should start carrying their own.
      For kids, a whistle, a little older I give them a compass and show them how to take bearings and how to reverse direction if need to.
      Even if I know the location and we're on a straight path, I stop and take bearings with them.
      Even if they don't know how to use it kids like things like compasses,
      If they are old enough I even give them a small pocket knife

Comment

I've always preferred commercial first aid kits over DIY. I keep one in each motorcycle and each car. They pack easier, include everything, and everything is neatly tucked up. Band-aids, gauze, tourniquets, forceps, a knife, antibiotic ointment. Everything you could POSSIBLY need in something smaller than a fanny pack.

Another thing, if you're in an area with venemous snakes, a snakebite kit isn't a bad idea. I carry those when I hunt. Very small, fits in a pocket. Usually a little round 'puck'. It includes a suction device to suck out venom from the wound area, and a small glass tube with iodine soaked gauze. Pump up the suction, then crush the tube and retrieve the gauze and sterilize the wound. If at all possible, you should also capture the snake that bit you. If you do get sick, the snake can be used to make a more potent anti-venom. Don't capture it if you think you'll be risking additional bites, though!

The vast majority of snakes in North America aren't that dangerous if you have access to medical attention. But, if you get lost in the woods or otherwise injured, going several hours without treatment is dangerous- which is why those come in handy!

Comment

Originally posted by Romans5.8 View Post

Another thing, if you're in an area with venemous snakes, a snakebite kit isn't a bad idea. I carry those when I hunt. Very small, fits in a pocket. Usually a little round 'puck'. It includes a suction device to suck out venom from the wound area, and a small glass tube with iodine soaked gauze. Pump up the suction, then crush the tube and retrieve the gauze and sterilize the wound. If at all possible, you should also capture the snake that bit you. If you do get sick, the snake can be used to make a more potent anti-venom. Don't capture it if you think you'll be risking additional bites, though!

The vast majority of snakes in North America aren't that dangerous if you have access to medical attention. But, if you get lost in the woods or otherwise injured, going several hours without treatment is dangerous- which is why those come in handy!
          I thought modern knowledge says that those old snake bite kits did more harm than good. what is the verdict these days?

Comment

Working...
          X